Title Question... Gettin Desperate

MattK67

Jun 30, 2004
I bought a mustang to restore while I was in highschool. Since I was under 18, I gave the title to my parents so they could put the car in their name. Long story short, the title disappeared somewhere between my house and the DMV. I figured it would eventually show back up, but 4 years later it still hasn't turned up. I bought the car off of ebay, so I have no idea how to contact the owner. He was pretty shady to begin with, so I don't really want to track him down and beg him to apply for a duplicate title. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of situations? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

i would start with a title search in the state that you got the car from. if you have a bill of sale, you can file for a bonded title to get the car in your name. oh and best to go through a title company. the money you spend will be the best money you can spend under the cirxumstances.

I bought a mustang to restore while I was in highschool. Since I was under 18, I gave the title to my parents so they could put the car in their name. Long story short, the title disappeared somewhere between my house and the DMV. I figured it would eventually show back up, but 4 years later it still hasn't turned up. I bought the car off of ebay, so I have no idea how to contact the owner. He was pretty shady to begin with, so I don't really want to track him down and beg him to apply for a duplicate title. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of situations? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm assuming you have a 67 based on your login name. If you need a good title from a 68 coupe, I have an extra.

I did this about two years ago I bought a motorcycle and unfortantly i paid for it before getting the title. I bought it of a friend so I didn't worry. WRONG idea. This is what i had to do. I'm in Texas don't think it might be different in your area. I went to the police first to make sure it wasn't stolen. Had to give them the vin so they could run it. came out clean so I went to the DMV told them my situation and they told me I had to get a surity (sp ?) bond. they gave me some papers which I had to fill out ran the vin again, luckly I had a bill of sale. Then I went to a place that would sell surity bond. (lucky again they gave me a paper where they where available.) once there they looked up the value of the bike and I had to pay a fee was something about 200 dollars. took more information and they told me it would cover me just in case it did come back stolen. don't realy remember what the purpose the surity bond has but it will keep you out of legal problems. went to get the inspection sticker, required in texas and then took all the paper work to the DMV. Payed the fee for the transfer and about 2 months later the title came to my house. didn't have any problems but 6 months later I totaled the bike.:shrug: hopefully this will help you out.