Drivetrain TKO 600 What to do

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by Pops Fun, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Pops Fun

Pops Fun Active Member

Hi
    I have a Tremec TKO 600, had it since '06. Last time at the track it wouldn't go into 4th of all gears, I know 4th is an easy one but facts are facts. Only go to track a couple times a year...
    It shifts ok on the street, except being very notchey (if that is a word) :) . Any way my thought were to have the gears redone somewhere and Liberty gears came up.. Should make shifting a breeze.?? Anyone use them. Also Modular Mustang Racing sound good.

Anyone can sound good on paper though... Anyone have any input?? Thoughts ??
  2. 90lxcoupe

90lxcoupe Mustang Master

Ive used liberty. They do very nice work.
  3. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

I'm having the same problems with my 3550. It doesn't want to go into 1st and 2nd. There is nothing wrong with the gears themselves; the sliders and blocker rings are all worn out. I need to come up with $650 for parts. Unfortunately 3550 series transmission parts are really expensive. I have used Liberty before, but I actually prefer dealing with Hanlon. The lady who answers the phone has a brand of rude sarcasm I really like. Anyway, they actually talked me out of doing the really expensive faceplate setup that Liberty promotes. They are selling fiber hardened blocker rings for $65/each. She says if you do those on 2nd,3rd, and 4th the car will shift almost as fast as the face plate setup. She made it clear that the face plate setup does shift faster, but a 3550 series transmission isn't strong enough to handle full on power shifting anyway, and it's pointless. She had a lot of ways to save money, like matching up the slider hubs instead of replacing the whole slider.

Kurt
  4. Pops Fun

Pops Fun Active Member

Thanks Kurt
  5. YEAHLOH95

YEAHLOH95 Founding Member

i have also talked to bob very knowlegble guy
  6. ProKiller

ProKiller Founding Member

Hanlon is where it's at. he rebuilt my 3550 as well. put in a 26-spline input and machined out output shaft and put a larger one in because it was bent. thing felt brand new. I work with his son actually at AM.