TKO install problems

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Edit 6/18/07: Jump to page 4-5 for the solution to the TKO vibration problem!

Well I just finished trying to install my tko 600. My problem now is that the trans mount bolts don't line up on the crossmember. When bolting the mount directly to the tranny, it needs to move back about a 1/4"-1/2" for it to line up. I modified the exhaust hanger bracket to fit flush against tranny, but that moves the holes 1/4" too far back. I tried flipping the crossmember, and it seems to line up perfectly like that, but the crossmember hits on the floorboard so I can't bolt it in place. :bang: :fuss:

So here's the only solutions I can come up with.
1) I just installed a QA1 k-member, so I can move the engine back 1". Actually, no I can't because the steering rack lines are in the way...
2) I can drill out the holes on the exhaust hanger bracket to move the mount where I need.
3) Re-align the k member for a 3rd time and see if I can move it back 1/4" or so(doubt it).
4) Set the car on fire and push it off a cliff.

Oh yeah, Im using a McLeod blowproof bellhousing.

• Sponsors (?)

Instructions?? Hmm, maybe I should take a look at them... LOL

Numbles, It seemed to line up just right when I flipped the crossmember, but it(the crossmember) was hitting on the floorboard on the driver side so it wouldn't go all the way up without forcing it. Is that normal? Did you have vibrations or anything after your install?

I don't use the stock plate, just a poly tranny mount that has the mount-to-tranny holes elongated a bit and I also elongated the slots in the crossmember about 1/8-1/4".

Don't flip the crossmember....the mount surface is angled down a bit in the rear and it will cause vibration problems.

Also, a lot of people make a spacer out of either 3/16" or 1/4" thick stock (mending plate or aluminum) and run it either above or below the tranny mount to raise the tailshaft of the tranny back up.

Go over to corral.net into the '94/5 tech forum and search for tremec or 3550. There is like a 15 page post on the subject with pics.

I have an "old school" TKO and I didn't have to modify anything. I did delete the exhaust hanger and fabbed up a piece of flat metal to act as a spacer, but that was the only fab work I had to do. Even with my PA Racing K member (I just bolted it in and that was that) I don't have any problems with the tranny lining up.

I think I'll try drilling out the holes on the exhaust hanger to get the mount to line up. If that doesn't work I'll just flip the crossmember. Hopefully I'll have some results to post tomorrow.

Low-5.0 said:
So you just used the bracket to move the mount back like in the pics? That's what I was planning on doing. :)

Also, I noticed the front 2 bolts for the shifter are in front of the shifter opening by about an inch or two. Is that normal too?

I havent done anything yet....the first time around i slotted the crossmember a tad, used a spacer, and bolted it all up. But i had vibrations. So i've been following that thread trying to find the best way to attack this thing to eliminate all the problems.

And i believe i remember those 2 front bolts being kinda hard to get to.

Low-5.0 said:
So you just used the bracket to move the mount back like in the pics? That's what I was planning on doing. :)

Also, I noticed the front 2 bolts for the shifter are in front of the shifter opening by about an inch or two. Is that normal too?

I remember the bolts being more forward. I just put the shifter on before raising the tko all the way up. I also flipped the crossmember and remembered it hitting the floorboard alittle so I took a hammer to it:nice:

I have been dealing with this problem all winter.Pretty sure the way to get it in is that you need to get the exhaust hanger with four bolt holes.The plate from a aode car has only two holes and a 5spd car has four.Then if your TKO has the camaro bolt holes on the back of the tail shaft that chunk of metal needs to be cut off for the plate to fit.The front holes on the plate bolt right to the tranny and then the trans mount goes between the crossmember and the rear holes on the plate.I have been researching this subject for a while now and this seems to be the correct way.Some people have gotten it to work by flipping the crossmember but I wouldnt recomend doin that,the crossmeber angles down to the back of the car and should be put in the correct way.When I first put mine in i flipped the xmember and had 80mph vibrations and premature clutch failure.Also about the boltholes on the shifter did you cut the opening in the floor bigger when you did tje 5spd swapp?

BDAWK2002, my car has always been a 5-speed so no I didn't cut the opening in the floor bigger...

I cut up my exhaust hanger plate to fit so I didn't have to cut that chunk of metal off the TKO. I had to elongate the bolt holes on the bracket to get the mount to line up correctly.

I now have the entire drivetrain bolted back in, except for the shifter. I just need to reinstall the exhaust, the upper intake, and any wires I have disconnected, then I can drive it. :D And my first stop is going to be the alignment shop because I've got some severe toe-in after installing the k member.

Low-5.0 said:
BDAWK2002, my car has always been a 5-speed so no I didn't cut the opening in the floor bigger...

I cut up my exhaust hanger plate to fit so I didn't have to cut that chunk of metal off the TKO. I had to elongate the bolt holes on the bracket to get the mount to line up correctly.

I now have the entire drivetrain bolted back in, except for the shifter. I just need to reinstall the exhaust, the upper intake, and any wires I have disconnected, then I can drive it. :D And my first stop is going to be the alignment shop because I've got some severe toe-in after installing the k member.

I wish u all the luck with not having problems...keep us updated!:flag: