TKO or G-Force?

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
i am looking at buying/builidng a new tranny (part of my winter upgrade package)i want a good strong tranny that i wont have to upgrade in a few years once i am done building my gt. i need a good strong tranny that can take abuse and also do great on the highway/street/track g-force seems to be the popular choice and it is lighter than a tko so what do you guys think i should go with? (to be used with a spec stage 2 clutch) also for the g-force do i have to re-place anything i.e bell houseing? can i run a frpp alum drive shaft?

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Everything will bolt right up to the G-force. You can send your tranny to G-force and the'll build it up. Or you can get the rebuild kit and do it youself.

My vote is the G-force.

My vote is the Tremec, the case on a Tremec is much, much beefier and will take more abuse then the stock case that the G-Force uses and is prone to flex and breakage. I broke a stock case with under 300HP.

The GM spline that the TKO comes with is much stronger as well, and it comes with the yoke for the driveshaft.

The TKO or TKO II will take what ever you throw at it and should hold up to what you do in the future.

I've got a glide, but it is far from a street car anymore

Rick91GT is right, but you have to remember that with a TKO you need a new clutch, shifter, bellhousing...etc...the ones off of the T-5 won't work......Its cheaper/easier, the G-force way, unless you car is a full drag car, then i'd put a 2 spd Auto in that bad boy... :hail2:

mikeoforchard said:
The G-force needs a 26spline clutch, not sure about the tko's.
The G-forces are much lighter. I have one but no time on it yet I will report back as soon as I give it hell.

Mike depending what model of the G-Force you get, the imput may be stock spline, the better more expensive model has the 26 spline like you have;) It will be nice to finally see some real world testing on one, lot's of hear say and rumors but no real hard numbers and durabilty is known.

i was in the same boat a few months ago and went with the TKO. It has been proven time and time again and is very underated by tremec. If you plan on putting down alot of power, you should be shopping for a scattershield anyways, not using an aluminum bellhousing. Thats just my opinion though. Im one of many that feel my feet are worth at least 300 bucks or so

The rotational mass of the (stock) T-5 is also less than that of the TKO. I've heard that it's good for about 1.5 tenths in the quarter mile. That means that the rotational mass of the T-5 is about 15 pounds less than the TKO's, if the 'rule of thumb' that a 10 pound reduction equals one tenth, holds up. I'm not sure how much more the G-force gearset weighs, but if it's less than the TKO, there is a performance benefit with the G-force. Something else to factor in to the decision.

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I've heard that Liberty's Gears also makes a replacement gearset for the T-5. Does anyone know how much torque it can handle? I think that it's a lot less $$ than the G-force. Perhaps it can handle your amount of power, and save you some cash.

www.libertysgears.com

Rick

rockin_rick said:
The rotational mass of the (stock) T-5 is also less than that of the TKO. I've heard that it's good for about 1.5 tenths in the quarter mile. That means that the rotational mass of the T-5 is about 15 pounds less than the TKO's, if the 'rule of thumb' that a 10 pound reduction equals one tenth, holds up. I'm not sure how much more the G-force gearset weighs, but if it's less than the TKO, there is a performance benefit with the G-force. Something else to factor in to the decision.

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I've heard that Liberty's Gears also makes a replacement gearset for the T-5. Does anyone know how much torque it can handle? I think that it's a lot less $$ than the G-force. Perhaps it can handle your amount of power, and save you some cash.

www.libertysgears.com

Rick

I think the rule of thumb is for every 100lbs you take off you get a .1 in the 1/4. :shrug:

The G-Force is much lighter then the TKO I think it only weighs like 15lbs more then the stock T5. I was not aware that G-force had different input shafts...
On a side note let me say a little bit about G-Force.
Those guys really are great. Bubba stayed really late on a friday night to get my tranny done for me. I basically drove up there and gave him my T-5 and he gave me the G-force. I bought a used gear set which had only a little time on them and basically no wear. Everything else was new. It cost me right around $1150, (if I'm aloud to say this) which to my knownledge is a lot less then the other trannys out there, however it is semi used. I would definitly reccommend these guys on my initial impression. After I get my car moving and making some power I will let you know how everything goes, however with the power i'm mkain (290rwhp) I don't think the tranny is going to go south on me...
mike