tko to c4 swap

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
alright, ive asked and searched but cant find a complete list of what is needed for this swap. i know ill need a c4, bellhousing, flexplate, converter, shifter, and slip yoke for the driveshaft. im just wondering if there is anything that im missing. tv cable, kick down plate? (a buddy said i would need one even if the tranny was a manual valve body) thanks for the help guys.

ps. gonna be selling the tko 500 if i can figure out how much this c4 swap will cost

• Sponsors (?)

I can't give you a detailed explaination, but when you step on the gas, the TV cable moves (with the throttle plate) and tells the tranmission to grab a lower gear (sending your car rocketing off down the track)..

Edit: I found this a couple posts down, I am sure it won't help a ton, but there was some information in the thread. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=580996

Don't be sorry... we are all learning. If you don't have questions, then something usually goes wrong or you have to make a couple extra trips to the parts store.

BTW: I posted a link to another thread.. thought it might be helpful.

v8only said:
This should be a fun swap, c4's are great trannies (i've got one behind my 72 302 maverick)

curious, why the swap?

im just sick of driving a 5 spd. i did all this work and dropped a new motor in, only to find out a couple weeks later that i probably have a warped flywheel. so instead of pulling everything out and fixing it, im gonna pull it all out and replace it. i dont know, i just cant ever keep anything the same for too long. i always liked to idea of just mashing the gas and banging the gears without a clutch.

You don't need a TV cable for a C4. Thats only for AOD's. The C4 uses a kickdown rod for "passing gear". I have yet to be able to find one that fits so I dont even have one. Loker makes a kickdown cable kit for the C4 that is an option. And its not really nessecary, you would just have to downshift manually for passing gear. Now if you have a full manual valve body, it would serve no function whatever no dont even worry about it. I will caution you this though. If this is your daily driver and if you have other that stock highway gears....you WILL hate it. You miss OD more than you think. I have 3.73's in my vert with a C4 and cant drive it anywhere that requires highway for more than a couple minutes. It spins at like 3200rpm @ 60mph. Just food for thought.

Daggar said:
Be sure to send your TKO to Daggar. That is step 5 on the conversion process. :D

haha, its in the mail. this car isnt a daily driver and even if it was i dont drive anywhere that requires me to get on the highway for more than a mile anyways. well i guess ive got a list of everything that i need, now i just need to find it all and sell the tko *cough* daggar *cough*

ECU5.0 said:
one more thing. what do you guys think of the hurst quarter stick? i know it wont mount in the stock location but it will mount in the ash tray (thats where a buddy has his in his drag car) ?
Personally I'd go with the B&M Hammer.. setup to fit in the stock location

ECU5.0 said:
haha, its in the mail. this car isnt a daily driver and even if it was i dont drive anywhere that requires me to get on the highway for more than a mile anyways. well i guess ive got a list of everything that i need, now i just need to find it all and sell the tko *cough* daggar *cough*

PM me. We might be able to work something out. :)

re

MrKwik said:
You don't need a TV cable for a C4. Thats only for AOD's. The C4 uses a kickdown rod for "passing gear". I have yet to be able to find one that fits so I dont even have one. Loker makes a kickdown cable kit for the C4 that is an option. And its not really nessecary, you would just have to downshift manually for passing gear. Now if you have a full manual valve body, it would serve no function whatever no dont even worry about it.

thats what i was questioning. c4 w/ manual valve body. anyway, i'm going from a tko to c4 too. now need to find someone going t5 to tko so we can swap yokes.