Tmi Seat Foam

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
I recently redid my interior on my 1992LX Hatch and everything came out pretty good other than one issue that Im trying to resolve. The seat foams for the front seats are a little to thick and my head is now hitting the head liner. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and what did they do to solve it.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought another brand of foam, and it was also much taller than the shag carpet and cardboard that was under the smashed old foam. This is a very common complaint for new seat foam pieces on all makes. Trim it with an electric Elena Bobbitt knife, or shorten your seat base.

I'm in the "interior phase" of the project so I've been doing a lot of researching.
"Google" tmi foam now my head hits the headliner." It seems to be a common issue with the tmi foam no matter the make of the car. TMI is aware of the issue and claim it is due to the fact that their foam is denser therefore making for a more supportive seat. During my "searching" I ran across a thread where a guy reported that he was 5'7" tall and with the power seat all the way down in his 94 cobra his hair was brushing the headliner. He ended up taking it to an upholsterer to have it shaved down and the upholsterer "turned his nose up" at tmi's dense foam. I'm opting to have someone else do mine, the price is about the same and I won't have to cut away at a new seat hoping for the best or have to pay someone to fix my pseudo expensive seat foam.