To beat a 99 Cobra

how is a 320 HP car running high 13s? I just don't understand..the new mustangs have only 300 HP and they run 13.4s AND they weigh more. Whats the deal?
Horsepower doesn't mean anything. Hell 225 rwhp can run 12's. It is how you put the power to the pavement is how you run the time. Suspension, the right tire and experience is what will get you there.

A lot of misinformation being spewed in this thread. Your average 99 Cobra runs 13.5-13.9 with a good driver. A bolt on SN95 GT can run 12's as well.

OP- The first question is what mods does that 99 Cobra have?

• Sponsors (?)

On a side note the kid that has the Cobra is talkin' so much crap... Yesterday he said that he could run mid 12's in it and beat an LS1 Camaro hands down. He's so full of it. Thanks for all the help.

its almost a scientific fact that people who rev their cars/talk **** to other people are full of it and are granted to lose in a race...... tested and proven :D

Do pi cam/heads/intake swap , 75 shot or boltons , whichever you find more suitable for you , and don't rev your auto , launch your car in Drive and don't foot brake it you will only bug it down , also don't manual shift you will only wheel hop and lose more time , always got better times that way.

how is this tech again :D

take it to the track. Then tree the crap out of him.

99 cobra's were slightly over rated from the factory, until they got the "fix". What does he have done to his car?Your car won't be faster than his car on motor without heads/cams/tranny work. More than likely he will trap 102-108(depending on what his car has done to it.)

Your car is putting down about 175-180rwhp. His car if stock has about 80-90rwhp on ya, so your in a very, very tough spot if he knows what he is doing.

Don't do anything stupid like race him from a role or on the street. Again, take it to the track and tree him.

Wait until you see him in front of you. Then blow by him honking the horn 3 times as you pass. Then quickly pull in front off him. and turn on the flashers. You won!!

:lol: that made me laugh

oh and remember this by mr. shelby. "horsepower sells cars, torque win races." if you can out launch him you will get him. with you being automatic if you got gears and a stall converter with some sticky tires you would probably get him. or it would be really lose.

:lol: that made me laugh

oh and remember this by mr. shelby. "horsepower sells cars, torque win races." if you can out launch him you will get him. with you being automatic if you got gears and a stall converter with some sticky tires you would probably get him. or it would be really lose.

Shelby was a road racer, often out of the power band where torque helps to get you back into it. If you can keep it in the power band, HP wins in a straight line.

Highschool???

Most high school races are just talk. I remember those days in woodshop class. We'd all talk ****, but never actaully lined 'em up.

Anyways....It's all driver man. I beat a 97 Cobra with my old 95GT AODE with just exhaust and gears. He couldn't drive for crap.

I would get gears and spray.

I wonder if the Cobra has 'The Fix' done already. They were having trouble meeting the advertised horsepower, and you had to go to a stealership to get some intake and computer work done to get the 300ish hp that they are supposed to have. Between that and him being wheelhop city on that IRS, if you kill him out of the gate, it will make for an interesting eighth mile race at least.

I hate to be the ball buster, but no way in hell you are going to win unless he breaks something, or is literally a horrible driver.

A 97 non-PI GT auto with one or two bolt ons, stock gears VS. a 99 Cobra. Even if the Cobra doesn't have the "fix" it will be a cake walk.

Your GT will be lucky to run a 15.0 in the 1/4, the Cobra has at least a full second on you with a half decent driver.

Even if you jump him on the line the Cobra will just reel you on in.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying how it will be untill you wake your car up. Right now its comparing potatos to pie.

I hate to be the ball buster, but no way in hell you are going to win unless he breaks something, or is literally a horrible driver.

A 97 non-PI GT auto with one or two bolt ons, stock gears VS. a 99 Cobra. Even if the Cobra doesn't have the "fix" it will be a cake walk.

Your GT will be lucky to run a 15.0 in the 1/4, the Cobra has at least a full second on you with a half decent driver.

Even if you jump him on the line the Cobra will just reel you on in.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying how it will be untill you wake your car up. Right now its comparing potatos to pie.

Yea i'm r-tarded. I din't even look at his name. I didn't realize it was a 97 gt. Sorry but :stupid:. Unless you have a 100-125 shot. Even then with it being and auto and stock gears it'll be close(If this kid can even halfway wheel that thing:rolleyes:)