To buy or not to buy

cobradude

Sep 24, 2007
Maryland
I have been Mustang-less for over 27 years. I owned 79 Cobra that I purchased new and totaled in 1980. I now have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Cobra/w 56,000 miles. I have been tempted over the years to get another Mustang but could not afford it usually. The 79 I owned was a 2.3 turbo model. It was a great car but I am sure the 2001 will be much faster with the 32 valve 4.6. The '01 is in excellent condition although it is not all original. It has aftermarket front 13 inch brakes and aftermarket wheels. The suspension is also lowered. The tires are wearing normally, so I am confident the lowering was done by someone that did a good job. The current owner has driven it 10,000 miles on these tires and they still look new. Does anyone know what it would take to put the suspension back to stock if I would decide to do so? The person selling is in need of cash and I like the car. Does this sound like a car I would be happy with after having owned a '79? Thanks for any thoughts!

• Sponsors (?)

dropping the car is a common and easy mod. It's simply new (shorter) springs, to put it back, all you need is the original spec springs and an alignment.

many times the lowering is accompanied with offset or adjustable steering rack bushings, different shocks and caster/camber plates. Those should pose no problems when putting it back.

'01 are nice cars, look at what they are selling for in your market and gauge that to the asking price. Mileage isn't too bad (slightly less than 10K/year), the car came stock with 13 inch brakes. It would be night and day to the '79 but whether it is worth it is really up to you. Drive it, if it squeeks, clunks, rattles or you have to fight with it, run away. There are plenty others out there. Check out the blue book value and do a carfax report for it.

They are "worth more" in original form, simple mods that can be easily reversed are OK. Anything major makes the value subjective to what the buyer wants in their car. Good luck, you will enjoy it if it's a good car.