To go full strip or not?

tendo

May 1, 2003
My mechanic found me a 347 crete engine for an awsome price, totaly unbelieveable. The heads are custom as ****, machined out to the largest they can be. These heads bare are what the engine would cost me. Now my car now has the rear end tranny clutch all that. All it needs is the motor, it will run 10sec 1/4 if I get it. Non blown or nos.

Now how do I make money? What I was told is that I can run E/T's, 5 1/4miles trying to get 5 same 1/4 times. My car is an 84 four eyes so if I could get a sponsor to put a new paintjob on it I could take it to shows. I dont know if I can make money that way or not though.

I need other peoples opinions about the racing strip for money and all that because I havent done it yet. Im looking for something to invest my money in. Id like to get money outa my car, just not sure how.

Thnx.

• Sponsors (?)

TY for your 2cents ranchero. Except I dont think you really understand. Have you ever tried to make money at the track? Do you know how? Someone has to be making money some how with racing at the track. What do I need to do to make that money?

Dont call me dum, or anyone else till you know them. Im not dum because I havent invested any money for racing at the track yet. Not untill I find out all I need to know. I wont need to spend 7-9g's. Ive already got things lined up to where if I want to goto track I can for less than what your guessing.

Blown or nos. hahahahahaha gotta make fun of you for saying nos instead of nitrous hahahhahaha

there is no way you will get money by racing. you just might as well not spend any money if you want to try to get money outta it.

geting people to sponsor you is gonna be very hard. and to them a ten second car is nuffin. Your average mechanic with some spare pocket change can make a stang do 10's you gonna have to do better to get there attention. Your better off to race punks with honda's on the street who think there god for 500 a peice.

tendo said:
Dont call me dum, or anyone else till you know them. Im not dum because I havent invested any money for racing at the track yet. Not untill I find out all I need to know. I wont need to spend 7-9g's. Ive already got things lined up to where if I want to goto track I can for less than what your guessing.

maybe people wouldn't call you DUMB of you knew how to spell DUMB.

Ive been racing for 25 years, and Ive won races with decent pay outs, and it still doesnt come close to what Ive spent. To land a sponsor you have to have a successful history, and you cant do that without investing YOUR time and money first. A 10 second bracket car doesnt attract enough attention to be a worthwhile investment for a sponsor. Most of us are out there because we enjoy fast cars. If you ask the Pro's they will tell you they dont make money off their racing operation, its just a way to get recognition and business for their shop or parts operation.

I hope you realize it takes more than just a motor, tranny, clutch, and rear to run a solid 10 second car.

With that said, the real way to make money is with contingency payouts. That means using all the big-name parts and plastering stickers on your car, and going and winning big races. That's basically the way to do it. Good luck.

you could do some bracket racing. put your car together, find out what it would do. make it consistent then learn how to cut a good light.if you get the light down then you could win .most tracks don't pay a whole lot. 200-500 to win in slow class. faster classes pay up to 1000 maybe more.some classes only give trophys.you probably won't make a killing but you'll have a lot of fun. Thats what it's all about.(It's easy to eat rice, but most are rat cheese) most big racers use the sport to sell there business and for tax writeoffs. please don't race on the street, the person you kill might be your mom or your best friend. It's also better to build a dedicated race car thats not your daily driver.

". These heads bare are what the engine would cost me. Now my car now has the rear end tranny clutch all that. All it needs is the motor, it will run 10sec 1/4 if I get it. Non blown or nos."

I dont understand, your mechanic found a 347 crate engine, yet your looking for a motor?

I dont know of any heads that will even work correctly with a 347 priced that high.

10second N/A 347?

LOL, that IS NOT happening!

Unless it is built on R/Dart, or other aftermarket block, with 14:5:1+ compression...etc.

I dont know what kind of bull**** your mechanic is feeding you, but it isnt true.

Better off running big money races on the street... always one or two $500 and up races a weekend when i used to street race.... $500 a weekx4x12=$24,000... course you gotta make em pay up and line up lots of races and find new ppl to race who don't know how fast your car is....oh and not lose or get caught by the cops in the process...