To mod, or not to mod...what do you think??

im4darush

May 25, 2010
I have a 91 jewel green 5 speed coupe with 46k miles that is all original. It even sits on the original tires. I am wondering if putting some slight improvments on the car would hurt it's value. I would obviously keep all the original stuff. I am not about to tear the motor down, just wondering about small things like exhaust, shifter, some 3.73's maybe?.....etc.

I know 46k miles is not a virgin queen, but you dont see many like this today.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Simple items as gears and exhaust wiil not hurt the value as it can eaisly be changed back to stock if desired.

I demand pics of said vehicle or :ban:.

Seriously though, I started modding my old coupe when I got it and it had 43k on it. It was bone stock down to the air silencer and stock "long throw" shifter. Do whatever you enjoy. If you like it stock, leave it that way. If you like to go fast and set of car alarms on econoboxes up and down your street to piss off your neighbors, let the modding begin.

If my car was stock....I would keep it stock. Where I am right now, I am more into clean stock oem cars vs modifying the he'll out of it,

Little stuff that can be undone would be okay

I have a 91 jewel green 5 speed coupe with 46k miles that is all original. It even sits on the original tires. I am wondering if putting some slight improvments on the car would hurt it's value. I would obviously keep all the original stuff. I am not about to tear the motor down, just wondering about small things like exhaust, shifter, some 3.73's maybe?.....etc.

I know 46k miles is not a virgin queen, but you dont see many like this today.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

No offense, but I don't really unerstand this way of thinking. I mean, how much do you think that FOX body will be worth in the future anyways?

Did you buy it only hoping that it might be worth big bucks on down the road? Or did you buy it to have fun with it?

I wouldn't count on the FOX bodies being collector cars ever... Maybe in 100 years when we're all driving hover cars, but not anytime soon.

That's just my opinion though.

If you think it's going to be worth money in the future and you plan on sellling it, then only do modifications that are easily reversable without doing any kind of permanent modification to the car or engine. Exhaust, gears, pullies, etc. just make sure to keep all the stock parts.

No offense, but I don't really unerstand this way of thinking. I mean, how much do you think that FOX body will be worth in the future anyways?

Did you buy it only hoping that it might be worth big bucks on down the road? Or did you buy it to have fun with it?

I wouldn't count on the FOX bodies being collector cars ever... Maybe in 100 years when we're all driving hover cars, but not anytime soon.

That's just my opinion though.

If you think it's going to be worth money in the future and you plan on sellling it, then only do modifications that are easily reversable without doing any kind of permanent modification to the car or engine. Exhaust, gears, pullies, etc. just make sure to keep all the stock parts.

Yeah never :rolleyes: dude even now fox prices are going through the roof, just like back in the day no one thought shelby's are fastbacks would be collectors or everyone would have kept them, and LOTS of people had them, just sayin give it 5 more years when these cars are getting harder and harder to find clean and that drives the price up

do what you want with it, personally i would have no problem with ripping into the whole car if i had the money and it had over 20k miles on it, if you want a collector car, stop driving that one and build something else

If my car was stock....I would keep it stock. Where I am right now, I am more into clean stock oem cars vs modifying the he'll out of it,

Little stuff that can be undone would be okay

+1 i'm getting to be the same way.... I'm even trying to source re-installing the AC in my car (it was never really out i just never installed it when i built the car. I did put the condenser and pump in, i just need the lines)

Difficult question and it all depends on you. If you were going to mod it, what would you want out of your car?
Best to set some type of goal and plan accordingly. Most important is to have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Difficult question and it all depends on you. If you were going to mod it, what would you want out of your car?
Best to set some type of goal and plan accordingly. Most important is to have fun and enjoy the hobby.

^ this

Most people, (including myself when i was younger) will just start modding with no real direction etc.

Yeah never :rolleyes: dude even now fox prices are going through the roof, just like back in the day no one thought shelby's are fastbacks would be collectors or everyone would have kept them, and LOTS of people had them, just sayin give it 5 more years when these cars are getting harder and harder to find clean and that drives the price up

Sorry, man but there is no way you're comparing a plain ol' FOX body GT, LX, or even a Cobra to a Shelby, Mach 1, or Boss.

You go ahead and get your hopes up like that. The only FOX bodies that WOULD bring in any money would be the special editions (7-up, Cobra R, Saleen, maybe the standard '93 Cobra) and they would have to be completely stock with really low miles.

If you think a GT or LX is going to be worth money, then you can keep ":rolleyes:" all day long, but the fact is that they just won't bring in much. Now, in 10 more years, a completely unmolested GT with low miles might bring in a good amount, but nothing to get excited about.

A common misconception is that people think that just because their car is 20 years old ("Classic") that it is or is going to be worth big bucks. It just doesn't really work like that.

Maybe one day i will be proven wrong, but I really doubt that.

mod the hell out of it, it's a 91 coupe....a 93 Cobra R with 1 mile on it being the only exception, fox bodies are never going to be an investment, even the rare SAAC cars, limited Saleens, blah blah blah. "A lot of money" is different for everyone. Throw the parts catalog at it, and enjoy it :nice:

Sorry, man but there is no way you're comparing a plain ol' FOX body GT, LX, or even a Cobra to a Shelby, Mach 1, or Boss.

You go ahead and get your hopes up like that. The only FOX bodies that WOULD bring in any money would be the special editions (7-up, Cobra R, Saleen, maybe the standard '93 Cobra) and they would have to be completely stock with really low miles.

If you think a GT or LX is going to be worth money, then you can keep ":rolleyes:" all day long, but the fact is that they just won't bring in much. Now, in 10 more years, a completely unmolested GT with low miles might bring in a good amount, but nothing to get excited about.

A common misconception is that people think that just because their car is 20 years old ("Classic") that it is or is going to be worth big bucks. It just doesn't really work like that.

Maybe one day i will be proven wrong, but I really doubt that.
Where the **** did anywhere in my post say anything about, shelby. boss's or mach 1 stangs? Have you looked lately what a low miles unmolested fox is going for, a 89 GT in the area with 19,000mi recently went for 19k and why? CAUSE PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY, as time goes on that number will continue to go up, will they ever be worth what a shelby is, **** no, but regular plain jane 1969 mustangs still go for 20-40k when they are clean, the fox when its that age will be no exception

Where the **** did anywhere in my post say anything about, shelby. boss's or mach 1 stangs? Have you looked lately what a low miles unmolested fox is going for, a 89 GT in the area with 19,000mi recently went for 19k and why? CAUSE PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY, as time goes on that number will continue to go up, will they ever be worth what a shelby is, **** no, but regular plain jane 1969 mustangs still go for 20-40k when they are clean, the fox when its that age will be no exception

Calm down friend...
I'm just expressing my opinion. No one KNOWS what will or won't be "worth a lot of money". But IMO, whoever pays $19K for even a completely stock FOX body is :crazy:. There is just no way they are worth that much money.

Not putting down the car itself, just stating what I believe to be a fact.

Just curious, but has anyone bought that $19K FOX body? Or is it still for sale? People tend to put their car up for sale for a lot more than they are worth sometimes. :shrug:

I Would do basic bolt ons and maybe a supercharger..Things that can be taken off if or when you want to go back to an orignal car..I just Paid to me a decent penny for a 90 GT..that has more miles then yours the car is clean and it retains its stock paint..never been hit or re-painted very very little rust and being in NJ thats good...LOL...really the only rust on the car is on the rear hatch...My plans for this car is a basic Vortech 5-6 psi it has Shorty headers,off road X pipe,Mac cat back...and a 70mm TB which does nothing...:) but its there...Im going t use this car as my daily have fun with it..down the road get it re-painted even tho it might hurt the value i just cant take looking at the car this was the sides are beautiful but the top on the hood,roof,and Hatch are faded...and the bumper....But whatever you plan good luck and enjoy it.....:nice:

It just comes down to what you (OP) wants to do with the car. If you think it will be worth a lot of money down the road, and if you plan on selling it in such a scenario then keep it completely stock. I wouldn't even do "reversable" mods. Just let it be, keep the miles low, take care of the interior and paint. And hopefully it will be worth it in the end.
IF you do decide to mod it just be sure they are things that can EASILY be undone.
But these cars are meant to be driven and the 5.0 begs to be modified.

A total of 584 Jewel Green 5.0 Sedans were produced '91.

Fox Mustang Production Numbers Part 2 - More Fox Colors

I'm sure once you break down your interior color and 5 speed vs. auto, the number becomes less.

What I would do is sleeper mods. Have your heads thumperized or extrude honed and your intake manifold (upper and lower) extrude honed as well.

With upgraded valve springs in the heads, you can run 1.7 roller rockers.

You really can hog out a factory mass air as well as bellmouth the stock throttle body.

3.55 gear would be a perfect street gear.

Throw a new set of 02's at the old girl as well as a new fuel filter.

I would venture to say that your coupe would easily run a mid to high 13.

Don't forget to bump your base timing to 14 degrees and maybe throw on a set of quality underdrive pulleys.