to supercharge or not to supercharge?

blzn04fx4

Jun 2, 2010
iowa
i have a 04 mach 1 and ive been debating weather or not i should supercharge it or not. I would like to get the power of one but im not sure if i need to change out the internals of my motor or not to be able to run some decent boost? and what would a good blower be if i did end up getting one?

• Sponsors (?)

Of course you want to slap on a blower. Why not?

The stock motor on a 2V will handle 8-10 lbs of boost with a good tune, and while I know the 4V's in the Machs aren't built, I THINK they can handle a bit more than a 2V. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, who wouldn't want to spend $4k for another 120 hp?

As far as which one to go with, a Vortech SQ or Paxton Novi 2k are both great kits and can make far more power than your motor can handle. KB's are great too and give you a whole other monster throughout the powerband, but are pricier than the centrifugal blowers.

The crank in your mach is forged but that's it. The rods will still fall apart at 450 hp. Their are some that have went more then 450 but they are few and far between. You need to look and look at your goals for the car and go from there.

so what would it take to get to 450rwhp out of my 4v. should i beef up the internals. i heard somewhere that the manual mach 1's have a forged crank but i dont know. and if it did would i be able to get a little extra boost. or do i need to get new rods and pistons?

The crank in your mach is forged...

...if it's a 5-speed car. If it's an automatic it'll have a cast crankshaft.

450rwHP reliably will likely require rods and pistons at least. You can probably get there on the stock internals as ninja notes but it'll be risky and the tune better be spot on. At least you have knock sensors and decent combustion chambers, unlike us lowly 2V guys.

Looks like your question got answered as you were posting. I knew something was forged in the motor, just forgot it was the crank.

Just remember, there's no set power level that your motor will give out at. It could go at 350 just as it could at 450. The key is a GOOD tune, supporting fuel system, and keeping air intake temps down. If you blow your wad on a blower and motor put go cheap on the supporting mods, you will pay for it.

My personal advice is to do a lot of research on which blower you want to go with. Then save for it, buy it AND invest in a quality fuel system. Then find a GOOD, REPUTABLE tuner to tune it for you. Instead of pushing the stock motors limits, keep it around 8lbs of boost (or 10 with an intercooler) and enjoy the car. Thats still plenty of fun power. If you decide you want more power, start saving for a built motor, then up the boost.

Just keep in mind its not as simple as a built motor and blower. They require supporting mods and it adds up quickly. Good luck with your decision, let us know how it goes.

thanks for the info guys i really appreciate it. im gonna look into some better rods and see how much its gonna cost me in the long run and see if its all worth it to get to where i wanna be which is the 450rwhp range. ive got the next year and a half to look it over and plan it out. in the mean time im going to probably put on some mac LT's with o/r h or x pipe not sure yet. and either borlas or flowmasters. ive always liked flowmasters but im leaning towards the borlas. does anyone have these setups and if so how do you guys like them?