To those that have done the swap from EFI to Carb.....

I'm wondering, did you use the stock efi computer after the swap. I'm wondering if I can just do without the computer completely and just use a carb msd distributor and still use the tfi coil and such...? I'm not sure the best way to go carbed from efi. My brother has done the swap but he kept the computer and now he has to deal with the stock rev limiter. I don't want a rev limiter on this motor, at least not a 6,250 limit. Any ideas are welcome.

thanks,

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

That article is a pretty big help, but I was also wanting to hear from some people on here that have done the swap. To anyone that has done it, how do you like the carb over the efi? How much did your gas mileage differ? Are you happy you did the swap?

thanks,

Matt

i went to the carb set up instead of using the efi. all you need is a diff distrib with the correct type gear, msd ignition,intake with the early style intake gaskets,carb, and you'll be ready to go!
i used a duraspark early 80's distributor for a 302 and welded the distrib to lock it in place, changed the cam gear, set it to total timming and hooked up to the msd 6a box....but no timming curve.

my buddy used the msd distributor for a early 302 and changed the cam gear then went to the msd box to the ignition. has an adjustable timing curve and no rev limiter unless you have the msd limiter pill.

always need to change the cam gear on the distrib for the new roller cam. they sell the gear in the summit mag for the swap. you even might want to go to the classic forum...all the low budget guys like me stayed with carb set up when swaping to the newer roller 302's.

any questions let me know.

Think about this real good before you hack it up. I was going to go the same route, but a new set of injectors cleared up my problem. They were the same price as a carb. If you are going crazy and builing a race car on the cheap, then go for it. But if you plan to drive this car daily, its cheaper to fix whats wrong. You will get better mpg and drivability and better performance if you stick with the EFI. I am amazed when I see the figures, 26-28 mpg on the highway. And it makes some decent power, for a daily driver.

im thinking of doing this too cus the price of the intake, injectors, maf, T.B., and a custom chip is alot, i thinking of getting a super victor carb. intake, 750dp.carb. and msd dissributor, i alreay have a digtal 6 box and hvc coil, so i figur i can also add nitrous and ill still be cheaper then getting a new efi setup, for my new pro Topline 215cc heads, and put it on my 302/5.0, i know the heads are too big for a 302 but im thinking of selling my 72 351w block, and when i sell the ported e7's with roller rockers and lower efi itake thats on my car(up for sell check sig.), ill buy a 331/347 kit, but wont put it in till next years summer...... :banana:

anyone think my 302 will be fine with my proline heads for 2 years, remember my cars now just a weekend play car, but how much Tq am i loseing under 4,000(not that it will matter:) ) ?

also just woundering everyone that swiched from a stock to moddifyed efi to carb. how much rpm did you pick up, e.i. with out haveing the 6,250rpm rev limit how much more did your car rev in rpm?

i did it myself(had the so setup)i bought an electric 7 psi fuel pump and mounted it where the fuel fiter was (replaced filter with pump)used the stock wires and relay. gutted the in tank fuel pump. also the tfi oil pump rod is 1/4 inch shorter than the duraspark one. the older dist barely catches the rod.

other than all the wasted money on fi i was happy with it( did a v6 to v8 conv) i had a hell of alot more power but lost a little low end torque, it runs better and starts better(the engine is not stock)and anyway i like tweaking with carbs

Hey jerry, I see where your coming from, but the car I'm thinking of converting is actually a 4cyl efi car. It's my current project car, a 87 coupe 4cyl 5 speed car. I was just weighing out the differences in going from efi to carb. I already have all the efi stuff off of a wrecked 93lx that I bought. So I really don't have to spend no money to get the swap done. But I'm just looking at the neatness and the ease of the 4cyl to v8 swap using a carb considering I wouldn't have the computer and oxygen sensors and mass air meter stuff hanging around. I'm thinking of just buying a holley blue pump, a new sump, new 1/2" aluminum line, throttle cable, intake and carb and I would be done. I'm basically stuck between looking at a carb setup for ease of use and neatness versus a efi setup for gas mileage. I'm looking for anyone's opinions on the carb setup versus the efi for a weekend only car.