Toe Alignment And Steering Issues

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
After doing some suspension and steering upgrades, I am now trying to do an alignment on my '89 LX. I was able to set the camber and caster the way I want, but can't get the toe right. When I adjust one side, the other side seems to move. Am I doing something wrong or is something broken? Also, the steering wheel shakes pretty good when I turn the wheel lock to lock and power steering fluid squirks out the cap. I thought there might be some air in the system, so I tried lifting the front wheels and turning the steering wheel. When I put the car back on the ground I noticed that the front wheel alignment was way off. The steering wheel was turning to the right when the front wheels were facing forward.

The steering rack is original with original tie rods and Maximum Motorsports bushings. Front suspension is MM control arms, coil overs, Koni yellows and MM C/C plates, Prothane sway bar bushings and end links

Thanks for looking.

• Sponsors (?)

What tools are you using to do the alignment with?

When doing toe, it's a combo of both sides. So, when you have both your measuring tapes, you know what you've changed by comparing it to the other tire. For instance, if you wanted 1/4" total toe in, it's 1/8" to both sides.

But, if you're doing it correctly, it might be worn parts throwing your values off. Also, are you putting anything under your tires to help them rotate and not bind?

What procedure are you using to do your alignment. There was a good one, but I'm sure most of the pictures are dead.

I am using the string method for the toe alignment. I am using jack stands to hold electrical conduit across the front and back of the car then attaching the string to it. I used the Maximum Motorsports camber gauge to measure camber and caster.

I think I am doing it correctly based on the video I watched of a guy doing it to a New Edge Mustang. It just seems like when I adjusted the toe on one side and moved to the next, it would change the toe measurement on the side I finished. I also don't have an explanation for why after moving the steering wheel back and forth the steering wheel is no longer straight when the wheels are pointed forward.

I did not put anything under the tires to relieve binding. Maybe I should try with cardboard. I read that you want to set the toe with the wheels on the ground to keep the suspension from binding.

Thanks for your help!

A trick I learned was to run the seat belt through the steering wheel and latch it. It will hold the steering wheel straight when you are making adjustments.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but I forgot about this thread. Just want to thank you guys for your advice. I tried using a jack to lift the car just enough to relieve some weight from the tires and the adjustments were easier to make. The tires were still on the ground. I used to the same method to adjust camber. Both times the measurements were still correct when the car was placed under load.