Tokyo Drift

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I might see the movie sometime but not on my top 10 things to do. First is to get my mustang running since the head kinda spit out a plug:nonono:

But heres a page on skylines and there cost
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105699

I like both cars and I drive a mustang so I am pro mustang but also like the skyline and imports too.

I grew up a Ford guy and I had to have a mustang no matter what other cars I have I will always have a stang in the garage and maybe 2 or 3 cause I love them to death but theres nothing wrong with liking an import

To get a skyline to hit like 600HP just buy a boost controller and go like 25psi and upgrade fuel system (basically)

san~man said:
Blasphemy? Because I disproved what another member stated? That I said that the Skyline motor isn't a POS like he said it was. Give me a break. Most of you fools just can't admit that there are cars that are light years ahead as far as engineering, power output and design. Again, leaving out looks, which are purely subjective.

Am I a ricer because I would opt to take a superior car over our beloved Mustang? Please....

The sad facts are:
1. Other than looks, our car (2V) doesn't offer much stock (99-04). 260HP out of 4.6L. Jesus, talk about inefficiency.
2. The suspension takes a crap load of money to make it handle anywhere close to decent.
3. The motor is heavy and doesn't put out much power given it's size.
4. The build quality is terrible.
5. The chassis design is over 30 years old.
6. Weight..nuff said.

Why do I say this? For one, I've gone through 1 O2 sensor, 2, yes TWO, cylinder heads due to faulty plug design, and countless dollars to get 5-10 hp.

Do I love my car, of course. If not, I wouldn't be a mod here. But the sad fact is that it isn't all conquering.

Your not even considering the fact that a mustang gt, which mind you stock for stock can keep up if not beat almost any other sports car for the price, IS ONLY 25000 BRAND NEW!

Not to mention the modular 4.6l motor is actually a pretty modern piece of machinery...
I dont care how modern and high tech those motors are you can spend 6k on a crate engine from jegs that puts out 500hp lets see you spend 6k on a skyline motor and get 500hp out of it...

I agree a freakin 75,000 skyline will outperform a mustang any day. No one is disputing that but cash for cash ill take the mustang and spend 10k modifying it so its faster than 99.8% of the cars i will ever see on the road adn spend the remaining 40,000 on fat downpayment for a house...

edit: not to mention the sound of a v8 alone would prompt me to buy a mustang over a skyline anyday

DBMSTNG said:
are you sure? i found 3 different websites that list them at $89,500 and none mention anything about them being imported or modified. another lists the price in yen (5,168,000 - 5,678,000) for the R-33 as $51,000 - $57,000 IN Japan.

EDIT: as for the MotoRex stuff, i'm pretty sure the $40k was for a USED Skyline before conversion.

Guess I was wrong :bang:

deftsound said:
I agree a freakin 75,000 skyline will outperform a mustang any day. No one is disputing that......

deftsound said:
san~man said:
Originally Posted by san~man
I beg to differ on that statement. In no way is that motor a POS. Modded, that 6 makes as much or MORE than an 8 4V. I would take a Skyline left hand drive in an instant over a Mustang. Sorry, but it's a far superior car in every way, save looks, which is purely subjective.
RICER get outta here go buy a freakin civic thats blasphemy

Sure sounds like you're disputing it. But now that you acknowledge that the Skyline is a superior car, we're getting somewhere. :nice:

deftsound said:
Your not even considering the fact that a mustang gt, which mind you stock for stock can keep up if not beat almost any other sports car for the price, IS ONLY 25000 BRAND NEW!

Not to mention the modular 4.6l motor is actually a pretty modern piece of machinery...
I dont care how modern and high tech those motors are you can spend 6k on a crate engine from jegs that puts out 500hp lets see you spend 6k on a skyline motor and get 500hp out of it...

Keep up? Yes, in a straight line of course. But throw in a turn or two, or more, and you'd better have done your suspension homework to make our pig's ancient 4 link rear suspension perform better than it does straight from the factory. BTW, there are some of us who occasionally take a turn or two. Unless of course that closed-minded box you live in only has straight roads.

The 4.6L modern? A 2V motor with no variable valve timing (pre-05) that makes 260 crank HP? No, sorry to say, it ISN'T modern. It IS inefficient to say the least. Powdered metal internals that handle like 450 HP at the high end? Modern? Not really.

And no, you don't have to spend 6k to get 500 HP out of a Skyline/Supra motor. A simple manual boost controller and some other parts will get you a lot more power for a small price. I bet it's safe to say under 1k, or at MOST 2k.

This discussion is obviously going no where....

McTeague said:
You people need to be realistic...

My 100% stock four door 1998 Honda Civic easily out handles my Mustang :shrug:

I'm gonna have to call you on this one. Maybe it has better street manners but I raced against a stock late 90's Civic a few weeks ago. I passed him like he was standing still lap after lap after lap. My only handling mod is subframe connectors. It wasn't just my straight line speed that was doing it either because other cars with under 150HP but with good handling were turning similar times to me. The Civic was even getting beaten by two modified Neons.

san~man said:
I'm sure they may Mike, and ya, maybe I got a "Friday" car.

All I intended in my response is that the Skyline motor wasn't a POS like stated. Of course it isn't a "fair" comparison, but it's the comparison that was was justified to make a point.

The comparison between the GT motor and the Skyline motor was also justified IMO.

I will agree with you that the skyline motor is not a POS.. it is a very nice motor and I am sure the skyline is a great car, but I don't feel like these two cars are a fair comparison, the price gap is HUGE. this is like comparing a z06 vette to a base GT

I see why you are comparing the two and I see the point you are tring to make.

CdnNavybob said:
I'm gonna have to call you on this one. Maybe it has better street manners but I raced against a stock late 90's Civic a few weeks ago. I passed him like he was standing still lap after lap after lap. My only handling mod is subframe connectors. It wasn't just my straight line speed that was doing it either because other cars with under 150HP but with good handling were turning similar times to me. The Civic was even getting beaten by two modified Neons.

AGREED +1,000,000,000

some people confuse handling with street manners and smoothness in turns. Plus unskilled drivers find it much easier to get the most out of FWD cars that tend to understeer.

san~man said:
Keep up? Yes, in a straight line of course. But throw in a turn or two, or more, and you'd better have done your suspension homework to make our pig's ancient 4 link rear suspension perform better than it does straight from the factory. BTW, there are some of us who occasionally take a turn or two. Unless of course that closed-minded box you live in only has straight roads.

The 4.6L modern? A 2V motor with no variable valve timing (pre-05) that makes 260 crank HP? No, sorry to say, it ISN'T modern. It IS inefficient to say the least. Powdered metal internals that handle like 450 HP at the high end? Modern? Not really.

And no, you don't have to spend 6k to get 500 HP out of a Skyline/Supra motor. A simple manual boost controller and some other parts will get you a lot more power for a small price. I bet it's safe to say under 1k, or at MOST 2k.

This discussion is obviously going no where....

You still havent addressed the fact that a skyline is 75,000 and a mustang is 25,000. A fairer comparison would be a skylinle versus a zo6 with its so ancient pushrod motor....

deftsound said:

buy a 2500 blown up nissan 240sx
this engine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-RB26DETT-SkYLINE-R32-GTR-Engine-Swap_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ019QQitemZ8077119416QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

boost controller and aeromotive fuel system and you have yourself a 600RWHP car for under 10k

and thats not even the R34 engine and it will put out that much HP

but this whole discussion about which is better came about because someone called the engine a POS when it is clearly not and we all know that and we all know that the 2 cars cannot be compared because they are not in the same class.

WHY are we comparing a mustang GT to a skyline R34.>???? im so lost! There is NO comparison.

The debate is wtf is wrong with the movie creators to put a fartcannoned RB26DET into a classic Mustang Fastback. I posted my disgust with this abomination on my local car forum and got torn to **** about it. "If you actuallyw atched the movie the guy and his dad were huuuge muscle car guys so he had a Mustang in japan, and the RB26DET was the only motor they had so they put it in." Well my argument was if him and his dad really were muscle car guys than they wouldn't have EVER... EVER put an RB26DET, or if they did, they would have taken it out the second after the race. Im not saying hte RB26DET isn't an amazing engine, but for the price you might as well be comparing a 2v 4.6L out of a F150 to the V10 viper motor, or a 12 cylinder Benz Motor.

Look at the main characters line "You guys race with these toys here" then he says something about rathering a v8. And my final point... they couldn't get the mustang to drift with the RB26DET... they had to put a 500hp 428 into it to do the drift scenes. End of Conversation right there.

deftsound said:
You still havent addressed the fact that a skyline is 75,000 and a mustang is 25,000. A fairer comparison would be a skylinle versus a zo6 with its so ancient pushrod motor....

So compare that then. A 6 or 7L 8 cylinder motor versus a 3.XL straight 6 that "can" make as much power?

Handling...winner, Skyline
Engine...Tie at worst, depending on how you compare them
Technology...winner, Skyline
Price....depends on model versus model

Any other questions?

Thought I'd show myself in this thread. I saw the movie on Sunday and did enjoy it. Definately better than the first two. The acting was sooo much better (not that that's saying much) and the plot was put together a lot better than the first two also. It was funny though, when they showed the stang for the first time (it's all tore up and in pieces), the guy behind us told his gf (or whoever she was) that it was a camaro!! I wanted to turn around and smack the s**t out the guy. lol!! It'll be interesting to see what they do to a 4th movie.

I would like to state for the record though that even though they showed the Skyline engine in the Stang, they actually put the V8 back into it to do the racing scenes. I'd also like to say that one of the most popular and higher ranked drifting guys (who i believe is Japanese) drifts with a Mustang. :)

Okay, I'm done....please continue with ya'lls debate. :p

san~man said:
So compare that then. A 6 or 7L 8 cylinder motor versus a 3.XL straight 6 that "can" make as much power?

Any other questions?

lol technology winner? What is the technology winner?
Were talking about a 2006 zo6, base price is 65,000, ill take the z06 with its ancient 505hp torque stompin pushrod motor

svttech76 said:
AGREED +1,000,000,000

some people confuse handling with street manners and smoothness in turns. Plus unskilled drivers find it much easier to get the most out of FWD cars that tend to understeer.
Hmmm, my Honda has double wishbone four wheel independent suspension with true mcphaerson strut setup. But yeah, the difference is cause I do not know how to drive :rlaugh:

san~man said:

Any other questions?

i beg to differ.

Handling
a little research led me to find skidpad #'s for a stock R34 GT-R at 0.89. good yes, but not great. the new Z06 is .98-1.00+ on the skidpad. as far as slalom speed, the R34 is 68.1mph. again good, but not enough to beat the Z06's 70.4mph. granted, i don't normally take too much stock in either of those numbers, but it's hard to ignore such a disparity.

Technology/engine
you keep neglecting to mention that the I6 has twin turbos. displacement isn't everything. my 2V is making about as much horsepower as a Viper 8.3L V10. it doesn't make it any more technologically advanced than the V10 just because it can make the same power with forced induction. turbos are simple in design and function, then been around for a century. the 2.6L R34 engine with 12psi is about equal to a 4.7L n/a V8 in terms of airflow. hmmm, let's see, do we know of any n/a V8's in the 4.7L range that make 320hp? take away the turbos, and you're looking at approx 177 N/A hp out of the 2.6L. suprisingly similar to the old Ford 2.5L Duratec V6. if you wish to do the math on your own, just remember that atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7psi and the rest is simple math.

Price
Z06 - $66,000 today
R34 - $89,500 1999-2001

now i'm not bashing the Skyline, it's a great car. i'm not bashing boost either. i love boost. but what i will say is that thanks to the uninformed rice movement, the Skyline is overhyped when considering price. if you want to compare boosted car vs boosted car, the Corvette Stingray should be out in about a year or so.

DBMSTNG said:
i beg to differ.

Handling
a little research led me to find skidpad #'s for a stock R34 GT-R at 0.89. good yes, but not great. the new Z06 is .98-1.00+ on the skidpad. as far as slalom speed, the R34 is 68.1mph. again good, but not enough to beat the Z06's 70.4mph. granted, i don't normally take too much stock in either of those numbers, but it's hard to ignore such a disparity.

Technology/engine
you keep neglecting to mention that the I6 has twin turbos. displacement isn't everything. my 2V is making about as much horsepower as a Viper 8.3L V10. it doesn't make it any more technologically advanced than the V10 just because it can make the same power with forced induction. turbos are simple in design and function, then been around for a century. the 2.6L R34 engine with 12psi is about equal to a 4.7L n/a V8 in terms of airflow. hmmm, let's see, do we know of any n/a V8's in the 4.7L range that make 320hp? take away the turbos, and you're looking at approx 177 N/A hp out of the 2.6L. suprisingly similar to the old Ford 2.5L Duratec V6. if you wish to do the math on your own, just remember that atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7psi and the rest is simple math.

Price
Z06 - $66,000 today
R34 - $89,500 1999-2001

now i'm not bashing the Skyline, it's a great car. i'm not bashing boost either. i love boost. but what i will say is that thanks to the uninformed rice movement, the Skyline is overhyped when considering price. if you want to compare boosted car vs boosted car, the Corvette Stingray should be out in about a year or so.

the only reason that the r34 is only making like 320 hp out of a TT setup is because it needs to appease the emmisions and regulations from the factory just buy a boost controller and you can get over 500 out of it when running like 20-25 psi without any more mods.

Its not like the rated HP of the skyline is all it can handle with minor changes it can be a serious monster.

But seriously this discussion has gotten way better in the last 2 days because people are actually finding facts instead of just talking.

BTW im not hear to argue we all are on stangnet because we drive mustangs not skylines and yes I think everyone would have liked to have seen a ford big block in the mustang in the movie but thats not what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.