Too good to be true?

jaybertx

Apr 18, 2003
Sarasota, FL
A local dealer is selling a 2010 GT premium vert with interior upgrade package for $24k. I called to confirm that the price was accurate and that the carfax is clean. Great deal but it seems too good and normally when things seem to be too good to be true, they are -- especially since the same dealer has a 2008 GT Deluxe vert for $22k.

If I do go look at the 2010, what should I look out for? Am I being overly suspicious here?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It could also be that the 2010 unfortunately is seen a Mustang "bastard" new styling old drivetrain, a lot of unique parts that don't fit from 05-09 and parts that don't fit from 11+

So few people actually mod their mustangs, IDK if a dealership would really take that into consideration. :shrug: I've talked to 2011 mustang owners who had no idea what a short throw shifter was (quote: "you mean we can change stuff like that?") Are there differences in mileage, manual/auto, audio systems, leather, anything like that to account for the price difference?

Its probably legit, or close to it. The rebates on the 2010 are pretty big right now, and that advertised price probably takes them all into account. They already have discounted heavily off of the MSRP and then applied all rebates to achieve the advertised price. My dealer has a 2010 GT FULLYYYY loaded advertised right now at $21,xxx most dealers are doing anything they can to move them. The only real thing you should look out for is whether or not any of those rebates are ones you don't qualify for (ie: conquest cash for people coming out of competitive make vehicles)

Here is one thing to also remember: If you are going to finance the car for more than 3 years, GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY (unless of course you plan to modify then any warranty is useless) I work as a Service Advisor and the Ford PremiumCare Plan which you can get for an extra few hundred bucks is worth every penny. I always have customers who are out of warranty giving me a hard time about repair costs, yet also refuse to get an extended warranty. Also...DO NOT opt for the third party warranty plan. ONLY choose the Ford plan or you will regret your decision. Just my .02

EDIT: Didn't read your last post...you will be very unhappy with the quote you are given for a lease on a 2010. The lease programs are TERRIBLE on the 2010, not all rebates apply to a lease and the ones that do apply are very specific (college grad, military, conqest, etc), because of that the sale price used to calculate the lease will not be the one you see advertised, and you will end up with a high payment.

It's a used 2010 with about 13k miles on it.

The other comparable vehicle on the lot is a 2008 GT vert with 25k miles, comparable options (but not sync, etc) for 22k.

The lease I am looking at is not a Ford lease -- it's a 3rd party lease. The quote on the lease is ~$310/mo for 3 years.

I think I'll go down to the dealership and check it out.

I'll let you all know what I do.

Thanks!

Ah well that puts a different paint job on things. Just make sure the history report is clean and that it hasnt been part of any sort of fleet (rental, etc) Seems like the 08 might be a little steeply priced, all depends on what the dealer took them in for.