Too many miles..?

95Gt_5.0

Jan 29, 2006
I recently started looking for a 99-04 Gt.Now I know that these modular engines can last a $hit load of treated correctly. I would perfer an 02-04(Better tranny) and of course they would have lower miles, but the prices are freaking high in my area (bay area,cali)I've found an 02 with 49k,an 00 with 69k,03 with 22k and an 04 with 15k.

They're asking 16998 for the 03(Black with Chrome rims)and 18999 for the 04(stock,white) The 02 is black,flowmaster catback and supposably female driven. The 00 is silver and stock with 69k miles on it. Haven't checked any of these in person.

Anyways the question that I have is how many miles are too many? I'll be using it as a DD and probably only add on the usual boult-ons(catback,mid-pipe,CAI,TB/Plem,etc)Might go blown but not sure.

Sorry for such the long topic and the dumb question,any advice will be greatly appriciatted.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought my 2000 with 90 something thousand miles on it for under 8 grand. Runs and drives great... a few little things here and there, but its no biggy. Im not scared to race or drive it like it wants to be driven.

The 4.6's are VERY common engines (police cruisers, millions of cabs, fleet vehicles, trucks...) and seem to hold up pretty well to mileage as long as they are taken care of. The tranny's... well, its a hit or miss pretty much. The T-45's in the 99-00's supossedly dont have the issues of the 3650's (big thread on those in the tech section) but I dont think their tourqe rating is much higher than stock...:nonono:

Again, take care of it... try not to grind gears, powershift... anything that would really stress it and it should be ok.

90k is a little high for a 2000, so it would be my 2nd high mileage vehicle... wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Im gonna guess by your SN that you have a 95 GT... I about bought one before I bought my 4.6... At times I wish I had, the car had less mileage and it was about 2 grand less... that 2 grand is a h/c/i swap... but ah well. 5.0's rock.

I ended up picking up my 02 GT w/ 55K miles on it about 3 mos. ago. The car was cali-driven as well, which means lots of freeway miles (probably like the cars you are looking at). Rumor is that freeway miles aren't as bad on an engine as stop-go-stop-go (or racing for that matter). I knew the car wasn't raced much, and mostly freeway driven, so I went for it. I haven't had it too long, but have had no problems at all, car runs good, pulls hard, and feels strong. I think the big thing to look out for on the 02-04's, is how the tranny feels. The tranny seems to be the catalyst for all of the problems w/ these year Stangs, so just be careful. Also, a carfax couldn't hurt, good luck!!:nice: