Took her for a spin for the first time in 4 years! What a BEAST!

Took her for a spin for the first time in 4 years! What a BEAST! Now with Pictures!

The car is finally done. I had it at the alignment shop for the past day while they adjusted the suspension. I swung by on my way home to see if it was done and it was. The first thing the guy asked me is where did I get the blower and how much was it because he had to get one. He warned me my car was fast and not to punch it unless it was facing straight down the road. It surprised him with the throttle response.

He backed it off the rack and left it idling in the parking lot while I walked over. I sat down buckled up and then slowly started out of the parking lot. I gently drove and then shifted into second then smashed the pedal. (Did I say that I was going to drive this thing like I stole it yet?) The tires started smoking instantly and did not stop until I let off the gas. I took the next corner went a block with the biggest darn grin you have ever seen. Then decided to head back to the shop because I had to run home.

As I started down the road I cruized in 1st then hammered it again in second, then again while shifting into third. All I heard was the engine revving and the smell of burnt rubber. It smoked the tires in second and third. I got a little scared to try it in 4th gear. I just backed off and went back to the shop.

OMG! This thing is faster than I ever expected. :nice: I can't wait to get more seat time! I was going to have the tow truck haul it home for me but he got stuck in traffic and will have to get it to me tomorrow.

The car is finally done and I will post some pictures of it when it comes home. It turned out better than I thought it ever would. Thanks for all the help over the past year +. You guys were a big help.

I think I will go get a vanity plate for my car. I was thinking of 1COOL68 or BLOWN68. What do you guys think and do you have any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I can relate myself although it was more like 7 years for me in which time everything on the car changed. You kinda think you'll know whats its going to be like but after going from basically the 302 I had in high school to a stroked & blown 347 with a 6 speed the change was amazing. I cant wait to see some pics.

I have spent alot of time and money trying to get the car to hook up but there is nothing cooler than a burnout as your doing 40mph sideways...

Congrats on getting on the road! I am digging the burn outs at 40mph too. 1st is useless with street tires and second is a handful, but still moves the car. 2nd is good for about 100mph with my 3.08 gears. I just need to find out where to get free rear tires.

Congrats on your maiden voyage! My 347 swap and 5 speed made for a night and day difference. I have more power than I can handle on the streets, can't imagine that engine with a blower. Look forward to the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got her home but ran out of gas as I pulled into the garage. I couldn't get more gas before dark so I can only provide pictures of the interior today. Tell me what you think. I took the lead from Reenmachine and put in a light bar from a Fox Mustang. It came out pretty nice. The only problem is the body shop must not have liked my way of dealing with the 3pt belts and kind of hacked up the interior panels. I guess it give me something to work on this winter.
May2008001.jpg

May2008003.jpg

May2008002.jpg

I noticed on Friday night that my tires are slightly to large of a diameter with my new adjusted ride height. I rubbed the fender. I was lucky and the tire store said they would take them back with full credit. I let them know it only has .3 miles on them. It was a hard .3 miles though.:D They may change their mind when they see them but that is the plan so far. I will have to go with a smaller diameter which will make it even more fun to drive. The new tires will be in on Friday.

In the meantime I am redoing some of the shotty interior work the body shop did. It was just not up to my expectations. I will tackle the interior of the trunk later today or some time this week.

Here is another pic of the car with the brake lights on. You can't tell me I won't be noticed when the binders come on.
May2008007.jpg

gears

I have 3.55's. I wish I had 3.70's. I did get the car going yesterday. Of course I had to test the rear end yesterday as I was leaving a car show. It's hard to concentrate while pulling out of a sideways burnout when the wife and kids are screaming:eek:
. I'm still hearing about that one today.

I'm glad to hear it's ready. Keep under the radar and try not to get any excessive wheel speed tickets:D

Done? That may have been a little premature. I am working on putting the stereo in and enclosing the trunk now. It is starting to look pretty good actually. The stereo rocks!:rock: 8 speakers discretely placed in a convertible. Not that easy to do.

I have to take the tires back on Friday to get some smaller diameter ones that don't rub my fenders. When that is done I have an oil leak at the back of my intake manifold.

Compared to where I started I am about 99% done. I will eventually put new willwood disc brakes on the rear. One of the "rebuilt" Versailles calipers isn't letting the e-brake adjust properly. In fact it isn't even working on that side. I figure by the time I get a new caliper and monkey around with the Lincoln setup I would be better off (cheaper and better) going with a Willwood setup. That is a project for next winter though.

Add one more thing on the todo list before I can drive it more. I backed the car out of the garage (I have a fairly steep driveway) and started to back up the hill I live on so that I could take a couple pictures of the full car to post on her. When I did that the oversized tire on the drivers side got sliced on the sidewall (there goes $270)and it screwed up my fender lip. I don't think it did much damage to the quarter panel but I am not sure. I am a little scared to look. I went from riding on cloud 9 a week ago to just wanted to get this car out of my life. I feel it is cursed sometimes.

Needless to say. I still don't have a full picture of the completed car yet and not very motivated to drive it out of the garage either.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have been discouraged by my car! I still have a long way to go to get mine looking as good as yours so I am sure there will be more of those times. Shake it off, you have come way to far.