Top Gear Review on 05 GT

NumberWon said:
I finally downloaded the video (dial-up :bang: ).

I saw a little negativity in it. Saying the car actually wasn't very good, but it just looked good. Then there were a few other stabs at it and one at American cars. Plus, he says the Stang got tamer over the years... yeah, you race an original Mustang from back in the 60s against the 05. Of course, all of this could have been meant as humor since they have a different sense of humor over across the pond. :shrug:

Also strange that they say the Mustang is just a badge. Maybe to them. To most Americans, it means a little more than that. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Compared to a lot of cars the Mustang may not seem to be very good, and for a show such as this who will commonly test the likes of most European cars and super sports cars, I dont blame them for that analysis. Domestic cars have typically run second to build quality of other brands. Dont get me wrong, I buy American and plan on buying a Mustang SE as soon as I can, but dont make the domestic cars into something they arent (This I know by design is quite a generalization which I dont like to do, but bear with me). Romanticism will not make your judgement clear. As far as some of the tech specs on paper, you could say that the car is somewhat behind in times. But the reviewer went far past the paper specs and what he expected and went more into the what does it feel like to drive and own. And in that aspect he said there is just something he cant describe that makes him want that car, and that is where I see is very successful.

He described the Mustang as something that in the last several iterations was somewhat "pony" and that Ford seemed to be treating the car as not much more than a "badge". I dont see much fault in that statement. The interior quality (although better than some) has always been a complaint of the last models. I own a 97 and see exactly what he is talking about. I mean come on the interior has hardly changed for the better since being introduced in the 94 model. 10 years of no great improvements really is pretty bad. Who hasnt picked up a stock GT and wanted them to have put more horsepower in the 94-2004 models? Heck, we already have people crying about wanting more horsepower from the stock 2005 GT to compete with the greater competition. I agree with the reviewer that Ford is finally putting something very reasonable on the table and now a huge bargain for the buck. I find the review was very objective and said the harsh truths but in the end explained why so many people have bought them over the years including me. You just have to own it to know why you love it. If you have seen some of the harpings they gave some other models, you can begin to understand the fairness this review gave. Ill take the good with the bad, and you'll still see me putting money down for a new 2006-2007... 130K miles on my 97 and no problems but a replaced throwout bearing (replaced moderate wear clutch at the same time due to already being in there), and 2 batteries.

• Sponsors (?)

tylers65 said:
Ford built it, so why can't they get more power out of the 4.6L?

Now, I am not saying the 4.6L is garbage, I am simply asking a question. If Ford can make 280HP with 3.9L why can't they get past 300HP with 4.6L?

they can and they have, just because its not currently in the car doesnt mean it cant be done. Ford has in fact built N/A 4.6L that exceed 350hp