Top K-Member and A-Arm and Coil Conv. shootout

• Sponsors (?)

I was speaking to Maximum Motorsport last week, they told me to stay with the ford K-member until absolutly needed, Also most of the aftermarket K-members look alot weaker than stock , for example, the steeda k-member, only if you read carefully that it says not sugested for auto-cross/road applications, only for drag racing. I even called steeda and they said they reccomend the stock k-member for autocross. the MM k-member is one of the few however that looks like an actual upgrade from stock ...I also just got there Cast camber plates, good product, I have alot less front end wonder or bumpsteer..

my 2 cents :flag:

Good choice. MM is *one of* the only coompanies who actually makes a true A-arm, not a V-arm which is structurally inferior. Thiers is the most expensive, and the heaviest, so most people get something else- but I've even had other companies tell me MM's is the strongest and best designed.
raymond.wong said:
i broke the D&D front control arms a few days ago while I was crusing locally.
I have no idea why they broke.
You don't even want to know how many times I've heard that, and not all about D&D either (in advance, remember that D&D claims 75lbs savings with their kit). This isn't something to screw around with. Here's a C&P from an old thread I was in:
Jack Hidley said:
Regarding front suspension weight. A stock Ford K-member weights about 50lbs. An MM K-member weights 36lbs. Stock Ford front control arms weight 14.75lbs each. MM control arms weight 8lbs each. A front coilover kit saves about 5.5lbs per side over the stock front spring (about 12lbs). If we add these up, we find that the Stock stuff weights about 104lbs and the equivalent MM parts weight about 65lbs, for a savings of 39lbs. If anyone can make a K-member/coilover/front control arm combination that weights 104-75=29lbs I wouldn't even sit in the car, much less drive it! This lightweight stuff does fail, with awful results. Scott Whitehead's car had a lightweight front control arm fail last weekend at Beaver Run in a NASA AI/AIX race while braking at 140MPH for a turn! He is very lucky to be alive. Remember, ALL of the front braking and cornering forces are fed through the front control arms. The same is true of the K-member with the addition of engine torque loads. How many pounds is your life worth?
Last edited by Jack Hidley : 05-12-03 at 10:56 PM.
I too am saving my $ for the MM kit. If all you have is a trailor queen that lives it's life one 1/4 mile at a time, never turns and stops with a parachute, then by all means get the lightest one you can get or the cheapest one you can find- but if you AutoX or just drive on the street at all, I only have one real recommendation- MM. Now, I'll go out on a limb and say the Griggs one is also top notch, because all thier stuff that I've seen is awsome- and pricey :owned:

how good are te lethal injection k members and a arms? just wondering cause i bought a bunch of stuff off a guy this weekend. i got the k member a arms ground pounder coilover kit brand new 3.73 motorsport gears and mac upper and lower control arms. everything was still new and never used. couldnt pass it up for 700 bucks.