TOP SPEED DYNO RUN

Whats up everyone. Today I had my car on the Dynojet Chassis dyno at school and I made a few pulls and at the end I made a top speed run. My 02 mustang gt is supposed to be governed at like 152-154 MPH. Well I got the car up to 193 MPH at only 5100 RPM so I had a little over 1000 RPMS left before it hit the rev limiter and it was still pulling quite strong. I shut it down due to the fact I didnt know how the tires were handeling it (nitto 555's) and I was worried about overheating or breaking something. I am going to put the car on the dyno again next week to see if I can break 200 MPH. Does anyone have any idea of how it made it to 193 eventhough it was supposed to shut down around the mid 150s? I bought the car used and bone stock so I know it wasnt reprogrammed. I dunno if Ford takes there governor signal from the front wheel speed sensors or the rear. The ABS light came on considering the rear wheels were spinning and the front were not moving at all. I talked to a Ford Fact instructor and he said that the PCM might take an average of all 4 WSS but he wasnt for sure. He also said since the ABS light was on it might have disregarded readings from the WSS all together. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Not trying to flame ya, but why did you do this? Top speed on the dyno and top speed on a track are not going to be nearly the same. Bragging rights and dyno slips mean nothing compared to time slips.

No, there's no :bs: about the speed, a stock GT really has the gear ratio to get the rubber moving at over 200mph. I'm just saying it's :bs: why it's geared like that.

All dynos do are apply a resistance to the rear wheels. On a dynojet I believe it's 2200lbs, on a Mustang dyno the resistance is adjustable to the weight of the vehicle, better simulating real world conditions and being better for tuning. That's also why dynojet results come out higher than Mustang dynos.

Now as for wind resistance, that's a totally different story. I don't know that much about physics, but I believe that for aerodynamics, the power required is the cube of the increase. For example, if you want to double your speed, you need to put out 8 times as much power. :eek:

I made this run after I made two power runs. The intstructor asked if I wanted to do it and I said yeah sure why not. I put down 240 HP and 281 TQ for basically a bone stock mustang besides Pro Chamber, 40 series flows, steeda shifter, and nitto 555s. Thanks for your input.

Well all the GT stangs need then is more power, so that 5th will carry over.I doubt the 05 GT stangs will get a very high speed due to their even worse aero dynamics.C&D said that the GT could clear 160 BUT Ford has slapped on a 143 MPH speed governor.I have read that there will be no aftermarket chips available because of how the computer is made or something like that...so I wonder how they can pull the speed limiter if that is true? EDIT: soryy that wasnt very clear, but what I was meaning was that I was under the impression that the GTs reached their top speed in 4th but couldnt go anymore because of RPM limits and that 5th was just WAY to high to pull over at the speed...but after hearing this I realize that any performace mod you do will increase to speed...not important at all but true LOL.

I have touched over 145 after shifting out of 4th around 120ish, and it did take awhile to get up there, it was still going though when I had to shut it down cause the road was running out fast. This was done before I had any modifications, I bet it would do it a hell of a lot faster now. :D

With gears our cars can get up to 140-150 with out too much trouble. I have been up too 137 Mph in my 03 GT with 4.10s. When you have gears, 5th acts just like a normal gear and maintains its excelleration quite well. You can actually pass people on the freeway using 5th.

I've seen a lot better acceleration out of 5th since I put 3.73s in, but it still doesn't pull nearly as well as the 4 gears before it. I didn't really see that it raised my rpms in 5th, which is definately a good thing. Something that I consider justifying crankin' her up everyone in a while is the smell of carbon getting bolwn out when you get above 100-ish. Getting all that air blowing thru the cylinders really clears them out! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, anyway (I'll keep ya'll posted as to what the local law enforcement officials think of it!).

does any1 know if the 98 GTs were governed? my cousin in his 5 sp said his shut off at 120 and that all of um were like that from what he heard? i do beleive his came with 16in wheels... when i first got my 98 i got to 125, and then a week or 2 ago i got up to 137 and could of still went, my car was bone stock when i baught it, no aftermarket exhaust, air filter's, but 17 inch gt wheels, nothing, which makes me beleive it wasn't reprogrammed which my cousin insists. any1 know

ragu1585 said:
does any1 know if the 98 GTs were governed? my cousin in his 5 sp said his shut off at 120 and that all of um were like that from what he heard? i do beleive his came with 16in wheels... when i first got my 98 i got to 125, and then a week or 2 ago i got up to 137 and could of still went, my car was bone stock when i baught it, no aftermarket exhaust, air filter's, but 17 inch gt wheels, nothing, which makes me beleive it wasn't reprogrammed which my cousin insists. any1 know
probably
i'm definately rev limited to ~125 MPH because of the 16" H rated tires that came on my 99 GT