Top speed of a bone stock 2005-07 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

It's computer limited. If you go on a dyno they ask you if you have a tuner with the speed limiter turned off because 4th gets past 149. I remember reading on here somewhere that Ford said they limited it to 149mph because above that the resonance of the DS is enough to rip it apart and throw it through the floorboard. Don't quote me on that though lol.

I know that it isn't drag limited because I've been up to about 155+mph in my car.

You may be right, but the speedo was pegged and I felt the car pulling some still.

Probably the most retarded thing I've done in my car even though there was nobody around me. One little screw up like a sneeze or something and it's pretty much death...I wouldn't recommend going that fast to anybody on the board.

You may be right, but the speedo was pegged and I felt the car pulling some still.

Probably the most retarded thing I've done in my car even though there was nobody around me. One little screw up like a sneeze or something and it's pretty much death...I wouldn't recommend going that fast to anybody on the board.

A buddy of mine pegged his 3.0L V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse at 150 mph on a desolate Utah highway (ironically with his 92 year old father in the passenger seat). If I was younger, I'd undoubtedly top out my Mustang but I'm 40 yo so I guess I've become more rational, mature or lost my balls somewhere along the way. (I pegged a 120 mph speedo with a 1973 460ci Ford LTD when I was a teenager back in the early 80's :D ).
151mph2.jpg

On a trip up to Sacramento through the 5 I got it past 150 and there is error but it was still pulling hard just a little bit of wind do i started to slow down but car tends to vibrate a lot it dose take it done time after 100 to pick up speed

no way a 3 valve on stock aero breaks 150 mph in real life. It just doesn't have the power and is as slippery as the speed brakes on a 747.

The 100+ extra horses out of a Coyote makes it go, maybe middle 160s uncorked, if, you have a really long road. To go close to 200 on these cars you need close to 1000 hp, they are that bad, aerodynamically...

I tested the top speed in the Nevada desert on my Procal tuned 12 with the limiter on. It hit the limiter easily, right at 149. Obviously that curtailed further joy and I didn't like the mild hood lift I was encountering, even though the car was BBP.

Let's see 20 plus miles straight no Highway patrol and brakes aren't am issue when you release the gas and still have plenty or open road to slow down by fresh without the need of touching the breaks.

Neither C&D or MT was able to validate 200, even stacking the deck by using a banked oval and high ele. On a banked oval, which erases some of the aero problems, C&D got about 189 average of 2 directions, out of an uncorked one, MT a little better by using a declined road and tailwind to push up the average. Here's the problem: It took a REALLY long run to work up to that and every mph gained, the faster you go, requires 3X the power of the previous one, when you add in all the various forms of drag. 8 mph will need A LOT more power at that speed.

It's more than power, too, suspension, aero, driving skill, all factor very heavily in whether you can hit a number. Ask people who do mile events how long it took them to make their best runs.