Top speed shut off

huudoo

Jul 25, 2006
Knoxville TN
what would be the speed shut off on a 2004 4.6ltr
has anyone gone that fast
i was cruzing down 75 @100 mph @2500 rpm in 5th
i heard it was like 140 mph, i don't think that would be safe.
fast-wreck- kill -medic- court- morgue.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

well, you wouldn't want to go 140 unless you had the right mods on your car, even then I wouldn't suggest it unless on the track or out in Wyoming with a state cop in your passenger seat.
These cars get unstable and squirrely at higher speeds....
As far as the governer goes, 140 sounds about right, but you can have that turned off....

i know that the limit for any US car is 155mph. i can tell you for a fact that they will go 148 mph in stock trim with gears. i havent found a road long enough to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear, but when i do i'll be sure to let you know. the only reason i didnt go faster was b/c the car wouldnt pull anymore. it was in 5th at about 4800rpm and just couldnt pull any harder.

I've heard more than one place (Bullitt archive maybe?) that the Bullitt has no top speed limiter, dunno about a GT though. I've had mine up to 148 on I-5, anyone in cali knows, LONG and FLAT and BORING. Sure made up for that. It getts pretty harry past 140, really keeps you on your toes.

No speed limiter...or at least a usable limiter.

On 99-00 cars with 16" wheels they came with H-rated tires so the limiter was set at 115-118MPH.

With 17" wheels and Z-rated tires there is no limit, but a stocvk GT doesn't really have the power to go past 150ish.

Mach 1's and 03+ Cobras have a 155 limiter.

I've been to 145 in mine, scary how stable it is at that speed. My fox sounds like it is going to fall apart at 120MPH :(

^ I think im going to do that on the way back from GA for the heck of it, and because it shouldnt take very long then :D
There is an INSANELY long straight highway out there....trees seperate traffic (cant see the other side), an emergency turn around every mile, and public on/off ramps about every 10 miles....its insane lol.