Topside Oil Changer

• Sponsors (?)

Doesn't seem like it would be as effective as draining.

Gravity > Suction.

Stuff will fall/drip out of the engine better than being pulled out of it.

That's my .02 common logic.

fram has a "quick" drain plug. I had one in my camaro and it worked great. I heard somewhere that you were not suppose to use them on aluminium pans due to the expansion of the pan when it gets hot but my camaro never had a problem with this

I don't mind using the drain plug but I really hate pulling that oil filter :mad:

I wonder if I could move it to an easier location? I will have to do some research...

Bo

I really DOUBT that you could do that. You'd probably have hoses but you would need a way to suck the oil to it unless the filter is lower. Then you'll have to have a return hose.

DC-GT said:
I don't mind using the drain plug but I really hate pulling that oil filter :mad:

I wonder if I could move it to an easier location? I will have to do some research...

Bo

I don't care for the location as well. I grab some cardboard prior to pulling it off, bend and place it behing the filter. This way when the filter is pulled off, the cardboard can guide the oil past all the front end pieces it usually craps all over. Simplest solution I know of.

Well, if you have no other means available, then they will work to an extent. They are intended primarily for boats, where the drain plug is on the bottom of the hull. They also have a dipstick that wraps around under the pan and goes in the original plug location, that way you can get most of the oil out. Normal tubes you would have to push the hose in all the way to the bottom of the pan, hoping ot get all the oil out.