Torn on heads and need some advice....

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
Ok here is the short of it. I have a set of stock gt40's. I got them for 250 if i remember correctly. After i clean them, and upgrade springs im looking at around 400 bucks.. SHOULD i just sell them before i do anything and pick up these instead??

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51410011 - Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® Track Heat® 170 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The cam will stay stock, i have 1.7rr's and an explorer intake that would go on. OR should i just sink the other 150+ into the gt40's and slap on what i have and be done with it?

Its been asked alot i know :(

• Sponsors (?)

I also have 3.55's waiting to install. If i stuck with the GT40's with the 1.7's and explorer intake and i installed the gears would i see a significant difference? Cause in truth, my car is slow as balls and It sucks :(

It will wake up nicely if thats what you want to know. I am running the iron gt40's, explorer intake, and 3.08's. Its not the fastest car I have been in, but it pulls much harder than a stock 5.0 and it literally rapes my friends 95.

775 each? thats coming down?

I would find a decent set of used aluminums. I found some edelbrocks on corral for 675+shipping yesterday. Not sure if they are sold yet or not.

Oh wow i didn't realize it was PER head.. I thought it was for the set.. wow i'm a noob!!!!!!! :bang:

So the gt40's + intake + gears should wake the car up a bit? right now my car is Stock minus full exhaust.. stock everything, even 2.73's and its a complete dog lol

do a 3g upgrade and do some pullies and e-fan while you are at it. it will feel like a whole new car. if you can send the lower to tmoss to get ported.

The thing is I already have the GT40's.

After really thinking about it, i'll probably just keep the GT40's. I have them already so i'll leave them be and slap them on with the intake and gears. I'll invest in an e-fan and i have underdrives already too waiting to go on. Hopefully this makes the car less like a dog lol

Besides springs, what do you recommend Brian? Also do you guys know of a reputable (and reasonable) place I can bring them to have some work done on them?

I really want to install a cam - but in my past 2 expirences owning cars with cam's i've always had cold and sometimes hot idling issues. I suppose a tune would help that though...

I really want to install a cam - but in my past 2 expirences owning cars with cam's i've always had cold and sometimes hot idling issues. I suppose a tune would help that though...
definatly need a cam, if you had overheating issues before cam must have been installed wrong or you had some other problem. I have the Z cam, mine can litteraly run at idle all day without going over 220 degrees.

<p>corral has several excellent threads on which cams perform well with the gt40 setup, but you definitaly dont NEED a cam. 12 sec slips are common place with the stock HO cam.</p>

definatly need a cam, if you had overheating issues before cam must have been installed wrong or you had some other problem. I have the Z cam, mine can litteraly run at idle all day without going over 220 degrees.

Never said "overheating".... I said i had Idling issues.... ALL the cars i've seen with a cam, including 2 that i have owned have NEVER idled properly. At some point there was surge, or issues weather the car be hot and warmed up - OR cold. My buddy has a 91 gt that is "ok" with a cam, but still has drive ability issues. This is a street car i have fun driving on the street. i wanted to keep the driveability of a stock cam car cause my car runs, drives, and idles great.

Besides springs, what do you recommend Brian? Also do you guys know of a reputable (and reasonable) place I can bring them to have some work done on them?

Not sure on a loacl place to you, ask around about the machine shops in the area?

As far as the work, definately springs, maybe look into a valve job and milling if possible. It starts to add up $$ wise, but makes the car run much better than just leaving it be.

My brothers car was fine with the stock cam, with his custom it has idling issues now. Won't idle cold, and then the idle surges and raises from time to time when warm.

There are plenty of cars with stock cams going 12s... (not sure how I would know that, :D) and if you don't install it straight up, you can play with where the power band is some. A retarded stock cam will make power above 5500 RPM.

Thanks for the advice Brian, i'll have to poke around and try to find a place that will clean up the heads a bit. I'll probably install in the spring i'm thinking, i need some things like gaskets, headbolts, etc before i do anything.

Oh stock cam is staying :)