torque box question

Hey guys, i have an 89 notch, cars engine is pretty much stock, just has a cam and stiffer valve springs and exhuast work and gears. I wanna goto the track just to have some fun, I'll be running street tires. should i worry about cracking the troque boxes?, IM eventually gonna stiffen them up next winter when i do the cage and motor, just dont feel like taking the interior apart twice, i think i will be ok just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. thx.

• Sponsors (?)

I Think they'll be fine for now, I just did mine but i put 50+ passes on them at the strip with a H/C/I motor and M/H racemasters. I'd just check them before you hit the strip and look for cracks or anything that don't look right.

89-notchback said:
Oh cool, thought i would have to take out more of the interior than just the seat, guess i'll order them up, thx for the info guys

yeah all you will need to take out is the bottom of the rear seat... and then fold up the carpet to get it out of the way some what..
Good luck with the install.. be sure to weld all the crappy stock welds up again and make them solid just not spot welds... :nice:

I know bolts shift, but 4 GRADE 8 bolts in a square pattern, tighted to as tight as my impact driver will get them are not going to shift. I could see if it was only 1 or 2 bolts or if you were running big horsepower, but in my case bolting them in will do just fine as well as for most other people. Im not trying to start an arguement here, i just dont see the need to weld those top plates.

88stangmangt said:
bolts shift....seen it happen a billion times.....i would bolt/weld them.

I know bolts can shift, but im speaking about JUST the torque box reinforcement plates bolts shifting. Id like to see some pics of torque box reinforcements that have "shifted" because of not being welded in. seeing as its happend a billion times pics shouldnt be hard to come by. :shrug: