Torque converter decision

jermy82

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
Sherman, Illinois
I am always on the lookout for a torque converter, and pretty much narrowed it down to PI, but I honestly don't have the money to spend on one right now. I did find a "GER 9" Ford AODE / 4R70W High Stall Converter Mustang" with a 3200 stall out of a '94 GT. Anyone have any experience with these? The guy only wants $300 for them, and they supposedly retail for 600 to 700, but I'm still not sure. It's either that or an intake manifold (probably Trick Flow), but I'm not sure I would notice that much of a difference without waking up the AODE a little. Also, do you think 3200 stall is too high? Anyway, thanks for the advice.

• Sponsors (?)

3200 IMO is a bit high for a street stang. I wouldn't go higher than 3000. 2600-3000 is your best bet IMO.
However, with your injectors, 65mm tb, and mass air, your car is begging for a manifold. I would get a manifold first, and then a transgo shift kit, then I would get the converter. With those 3 mods added to you current setup, you could possibly knock a sec. off your et.

BTW - you said they guy selling the stall says it's a 3,200 - but for what combo? Stalls that big need to be custom made for your current combo to be accurate. You could put that thing in and it stall to 4,000 or 2,000 if it wasn't for a stock mustang with different gears.

With the nitrous it really didn't make any difference since I launch and instanly hit the spray. :? Although my first trip to the track only yielded me the 14.5x... and the next trip I got the 14.3x before monkeying with the timing. So I'm sure I still have some learning to do on getting this baby off the line and new bests are to be had when the track opens up. :nice:

Going to try those damn nittos again too. :rolleyes:

Honestly if it were me in your position I wouldnt hesitate to do the converter..
I made just that mistake.. Did the converter last, and WOW does it slow down the car with the stock stall.a

Intake wont do very much for ya, BTW.. atleast not when compared to a good converter, or gears. Back when my car had a Vortech, on stock heads,cam,intake.. After the switch to an Edelbrock.. I only seemed to pick up more upper rpm power (somthing useless with your stock cam/springs/heads,ect)

Hold up my man. Didn't mean to scare you away from a converter. Oink is on the money. My car slowed down with the intake.... it moves your powerband higher which means you bog like a SOB when you launch. Cheapest cure I had for that was to juice it on the line.

I was just saying becareful about buying used converters. Find out what the rating was setat with what power curve in mind. You can get too much or too little way too easy in a guessing game. I went through a few converters before I got a good one. I tried to go the cheap route and ended up pulling the tranny 4 times. :nonono:

I would do a converter before an intake for sure, you'll shoot yourself in the foot the other way. :bang:

gcomfx.com said:
I would do a converter before an intake for sure, you'll shoot yourself in the foot the other way. :bang:

That's what happened to me. The first few times I went to the track I got the same or worst time than I did with out the intake. I did gain about 3-4 mph with the intake but my ET's were about the same. Paul what is the difference between the converter you got and the one 1hot50 got?

Dustin

Well, went and checked on the group buy thing, and he said I can't do that, but he'd give me 25 bucks off. Better than nothing I guess, but I really don't know what the 25 is off of. The group buy price was 515, right? What are they originally? After reading the last couple of posts, I am being swayed back to the converter...any other opinions?

DO THE CONVERTER NOW!!!!!

I have a PI Stallion, but I dont "just recommend it because I have it", mainly because of the cost. If you want it done right, you cant skimp, but Edge is fine, and so is PA. If you want to eventually have a setup over 400HP, I would splurge and get the PI.

No matter what, get it NOW!! :banana:
RC

Don't skimp out on buy a converter you always get what you pay for in my opinion. Of all of them out there I would trust a Lentech, edge, and PI one. I personally went with a custom 9.5" Lentech, but I also ordered a trans. from them. But before I changed my mind I was going to go with the Street Edge.

However Do the converter now and you will not regret it. Also I say stay in the 2400-2800 range for a stock motor, because your stall rate will go up with the more torque you make.

Precision Industries is the best,and edge converters are great also(but alot cheaper in price) A conv. is the best mod you can do,other then a H/C/I swap!! Its my best mod,,better performance gain then my 410's!! It will change your whole car!! If your keeping your stock cam,a 2400 stall is perfect!! I have a 2800 PI(with the stock cam) and its a little lose,a cam would fix that!! When mine was stock I got my converter,but still had 273 gears.With the stock converter the tires wouldnt even spin a little off the line when you punched it,,nothin!!! THEN,I got the conv. installed,it spun the tires like I just droped the clutch in a 5 spd :nice: Then I put in gears and it really came alive :banana: Do yourself a favor and get one!!! But when it comes to converters,you get what you pay for!!

SuperDust22 said:
That's what happened to me. The first few times I went to the track I got the same or worst time than I did with out the intake. I did gain about 3-4 mph with the intake but my ET's were about the same. Paul what is the difference between the converter you got and the one 1hot50 got?

Dustin

I'm guessing you are asking about the Mild Street Edge vs. the Street Edge. Mine is a 9.5 converter.... the Mild is a modified stock converter. The moddified tops out at 2,600 stall. The 9.5 you can stall to 5,500 if you wanted. Also Andre said the design on the 9.5" will actually run cooler and perform better, plus it's smaller.

Here's my stock stall (same as the Mild Street Edge size) and the Street Edge side by side:

edgeracingstall.jpg

Also the Street Edge has a dual bolt pattern in the design (thanks to a screw up on shipping me the wrong one the first go round with the Mild stall) so it can be used in a 4.6 AODE as well.

jermy82 - did you watch my video of before and after the stall? Just curious. LOL

Kewl... I need to reoutput the movie. The next trip to the track with the same setup I ran the 14.38 in my sig. I got over anxious and decided to jack with putting the timing back to stock to get closer to that 14.00 - but didn't get it tuned in right til AFTER last call. :rolleyes: