Torque converter decision

gcomfx.com said:
I'm guessing you are asking about the Mild Street Edge vs. the Street Edge. Mine is a 9.5 converter.... the Mild is a modified stock converter. The moddified tops out at 2,600 stall. The 9.5 you can stall to 5,500 if you wanted. Also Andre said the design on the 9.5" will actually run cooler and perform better, plus it's smaller.

Here's my stock stall (same as the Mild Street Edge size) and the Street Edge side by side:

edgeracingstall.jpg

I could have sworn Andre told me I have a 2,800 stall. Regardless, I am very happy with my edge converter. I went from a 15.2@90 mph to a [email protected] mph. Not bad for $396.40 shipped to my door. :nice: I still think I can knock another tenth for two off of that also. :nice:

:OT: Dustin, are you still going to the track on thursday?

• Sponsors (?)

1hot5.0 said:
I could have sworn Andre told me I have a 2,800 stall. Regardless, I am very happy with my edge converter. I went from a 15.2@90 mph to a [email protected] mph. Not bad for $396.40 shipped to my door. :nice: I still think I can knock another tenth for two off of that also. :nice:

:OT: Dustin, are you still going to the track on thursday?

Andre told me on the phone it was tough to get a 2,800 out of the stock converter. It really depends on how good the core was they are using. He could only guarentee a 2,600, but there is a chance they got 2,700 and small possibilty they hit 2,800. :nice: Each car is going to vary anyway, so I don't think it's a huge deal. :D

I'm hoping there is a bit more in mine as well. I had run a best of 14.89 before... but that was a while back. The trip RIGHT before the stall, the best I could get was a 15.15. :bang: I went with the exact same setup and scored the 14.58 while stalling it up then went back again and ran a 14.38 by flash stalling from an idle. :nice:

I think if I can get rid of this hesitation, deleting the EGR helped, then I might see some better numbers from the 14.89-14.95 days of the old converter. :shrug:

One can hope. :D

jermy82 said:
Okay, so I can get one for 540 plus shipping. I was thinking 3000 stall at first, but now I think I'll opt for 2800. Any recommendations for or against this? Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming.
Were you listening?? LOL,,3000 is too big!!,,Unless your gonna change the cam,,then a 3000 is cool. If not you want a 24--2600 stall. But if your like 99.9% of other 5.0 owners you will probably get some more mods :nice:

You do not "HAVE TO" get it restalled. It's not like putting 36 # injectors in w/ a MAF cal'd for 30, and having to "retune" the car. We're just talking "the most ideal" stall for the setup. If you get a 2600 stall now and and even a S/C later, it will still work fine, just not 'the best it could be'.

3000 stall with a fairly stock setup is TOO MUCH!!!!

RC

2800--3000 same thing!!! To be honest theres a guy in the Fox room (rsw007) He runs an edge 3000 stall, and a stock motor.He runs a 13.00- 1/4 mile,,YES,,a stock motor.Hes got work to his tranny,has gears,and has his suspension TWEAKED :nice: He had edge custom make his conv. because he runs around with sticky tires.(thats what he told me) Mine is a little lose,,,,but I kinda like the feeling :nice: But if your not gonna up grade your cam,I would seriously consider a 2400 stall speed!!JMO

willys1 said:
Were you listening?? LOL,,3000 is too big!!,,Unless your gonna change the cam,,then a 3000 is cool. If not you want a 24--2600 stall. But if your like 99.9% of other 5.0 owners you will probably get some more mods :nice:

Well, that's why I went from 3000 to 2800. I will mod it mildly for now, but not extensively for a long time to be honest ($$$). I think 2800 will be fine from what I've heard on here. One more question, does the stall have to be an even number? May seem like a stupid question, but it seems like everyone has a 2600, 2800, 3000, etc. Just wondering.

jermy.... your in illinois.... ever make it down to the south part of MO? If the weather holds, I could take you for a ride. :D I've always been a conservative. I drive my car ALOT compared to most guys on here. I went for 3.73s NOT 4.10s for a reason. The 3,000 stall isn't bad at all. And believe me, if it was I would be the first to complain and demand an exchange for a 2,400 or something else. I'm quite happy with my 3,000 stall.

If you are looking at an intake down the road, which you seem to be, I would recommend going above the 2,400. Why buy something and wish it was bigger later, but would cost a lot to swap or take a lot of work? :shrug: Have Andre map it with a 3,000 max and tell him your future plans for the car so he can aprox. your HP so you'll be set for next year or whenever you modding takes off.

Also remember the 3,000 Street Edge should have a better resell value. For those guys that bought a 2,200 and wish they had gone bigger. :D

The big question I have is, what do you drive when it snows up there? If the stang... then I might have mixed opinions... although I think my car would might be better on the ice and snow now... as I have a 3,000 rpm cushion where I can baby the power to the tires if I want. The car will still go and drive normal under the stall.... you just can't hit that mark or the car will jump and try to go. Probably not a good idea on the snow. :rlaugh:

All this talk about converters is driving me insane!!!!! I just cant wait till winter is over so i can install my Street Edge converter. Its a 3000 stall for my Heads/Cam/Intake setup. once the H/C/I is installed Andre told me it would stall to 3200.

Edge is a great company. i bought 1 AODE converter, 1 4L60E converter, 2 transgo kits, and 2 tranny coolers from them. If i ever need anything again tranny related, it would be from them.

gcomfx.com said:
I'm hoping there is a bit more in mine as well. I had run a best of 14.89 before... but that was a while back. The trip RIGHT before the stall, the best I could get was a 15.15. :bang: I went with the exact same setup and scored the 14.58 while stalling it up then went back again and ran a 14.38 by flash stalling from an idle. :nice:

I think if I can get rid of this hesitation, deleting the EGR helped, then I might see some better numbers from the 14.89-14.95 days of the old converter. :shrug:

One can hope. :D

So when you say you flash stalled it from idle you just floored it from a stop right? :shrug:

I think 3,000 is ok also... I went with a 2,600-2,800 because if I keep my automatic, I know I'm going to have to get another one made down the road anyway. I didn't want a stall set up for a h/c/i with a supercharger and have a stock motor. :rlaugh:

gcomfx.com said:
jermy.... your in illinois.... ever make it down to the south part of MO? If the weather holds, I could take you for a ride. :D I've always been a conservative. I drive my car ALOT compared to most guys on here. I went for 3.73s NOT 4.10s for a reason. The 3,000 stall isn't bad at all. And believe me, if it was I would be the first to complain and demand an exchange for a 2,400 or something else. I'm quite happy with my 3,000 stall.

If you are looking at an intake down the road, which you seem to be, I would recommend going above the 2,400. Why buy something and wish it was bigger later, but would cost a lot to swap or take a lot of work? :shrug: Have Andre map it with a 3,000 max and tell him your future plans for the car so he can aprox. your HP so you'll be set for next year or whenever you modding takes off.

Also remember the 3,000 Street Edge should have a better resell value. For those guys that bought a 2,200 and wish they had gone bigger. :D

The big question I have is, what do you drive when it snows up there? If the stang... then I might have mixed opinions... although I think my car would might be better on the ice and snow now... as I have a 3,000 rpm cushion where I can baby the power to the tires if I want. The car will still go and drive normal under the stall.... you just can't hit that mark or the car will jump and try to go. Probably not a good idea on the snow. :rlaugh:

God no I don't drive the stang in the winter. I've got my '93 T-bird to keep me mobile while I've got the stang stored in a friend's garage right now. It's a beater that I got for 500 bucks, but it runs like a champ. I'm gonna order the 2800 stall in the next day or two. That's my final answer, and I appreciate all the opinions about going to 3000, or 2600. I think 2800 will be fine, with a little bit of room to grow, but since I just don't see my car being a total beast for a few years, I'm not gonna go too low. BTW, I'll let you know if I'm ever in Southern MO so you can show me what a real car runs like, lol :D .

i'm getting my converter, transgo, and a few other tranny upgrades installed either this week or next week.

i wonder how its going to feel with my stock 3.27's for a while?

i cant wait to surprise some local mustang friends LOL