Torque Converter selection for quick Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Auto Tech' started by Fabbed4d88, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Don't know where else to go with this so here goes

Not only do I love working on my wife and I's 2 stangs (89 GT and 10 GT) but Dad has his own little fun toy.. My 5.0 powered 98 Ford Explorer. Mods to the "X" include; 1" TrickFlow phenolic spacer, MAC CAI w/Amsoil filter, Screamin Demon coil packs w/Livewires, HO camshaft, minimal head porting, TorqueMonster headers, rear cat delete, MAC cat back, Bauman Engeniring valve body recal kit, 3:73 gears, Torsen LSD, and a custom Xcal3 tune from Henson Performance........Sorry for all the babbeling so now on to the reason for this post.

Looking for a converter to get this blue pig off the line a little quicker.
    I have the 4R70W tranny and was looking at a couple converters.
    First one is from Great converters an it is basicilly a rebuilt Police converter that would stall at 2500 for $275.
    The other I was looking at was from Hughs. It also stalls at 2500 but sells for around $500
    "Sarge" @ Great converters asked me about the weight, cam, gears, ect.. of my X where Hughs just said "this will work for you".
    Does 275 sound to good to be true? Any other options? Has anyone ever had any experiance with Great Converters online?
    I know there are some great companies out there but I just can't see spending 7-800 dollars on a converter for the X yet...after the Heads, custom cam, rr's, and NOS go on....yes, but for now I just want a little more umph.

Thanks for dealing with my banter,
    Chad

2. Anybody ever delt with greatconverters.com?