Torque Converter?

ckzimmerly

Jun 11, 2009
Toledo, OH
:(I recently took my 89 Mustang on its initial test run after completing the following modifications. To say the least is was not very impressive as it is a PIG out of the hole. It only wakes up in second gear.

Trick Flow Track Heat H/C/I
24 Lb Injectors
76 mm Throttle Body
76mm MAF (calibrated to 24 Lb)
Underdrive pulleys
Mac Headers
3.73 Rear End (installed by previous owner)
Ford Racing AODE Transmission (installed by previous owner)
Flow Master Exhaust

I currently have a 2000 Stall B&M torque converter on the car installed by previous owner. I cant tell if it is letting the car slip or not. I am assuming I need a 2800 - 3000 stall to now, but I don't want to spend the money unless I absolutely need to. THis thing will not launch out of the hole!!! It is for street applications, but I feel I am not getting the full benefits from the upgrades I have put into the car.
The car is running a little lean right now, but I am putting in a 255 Lph pump and an adjustable regulator tomorrow so that should fix the lean condition.

Suggestions please!!

:(

• Sponsors (?)

That is kind of what I was thinking, as I tried to hold it in low gear and stomped on it. I shifted into 2nd at about 3500 rpm and the car chirpped the tires and took off like a bat out of he11. Thanks for the info. I'll call him in the morning.

3000 Stall non lock up. Allen said that would be the best for my set up. I am trusting the experts on this one. To say the least I would have no idea.

Torque converters are kind of like cams. You can bench race all day, but in the end your best bet is actually asking the professional what they recommend for your application. Sounds like you'll be set up just fine. :nice:

I just hope it is not too agressive. I want to street this thing, not race it...well unless some one want to challenge me at a red light!!!!

BTW

Any idea where I should start at for pressure on my adjustable fuel pressure regulator. It is stock now. It is lean as the spark plugs were white on Saturday.

I would love a dyno tune, but there is nothing in the Toledo, OH area!! Also the upgrades have hurt the pocket book this year!!! It may have to run as is for a while. I guess paint and intirior will ahve to wait. Ahh the never done project car