Torque Convertor question....

Guero

Oct 11, 2005
So my dads 65 Mustang(289 C4 3 speed) was leaking plenty of tranny fluid.... So i volunteered myself to take it down and take it to my friends shop to replace the problem. Came out to being the o-ring on the pump...so he replaced them for free....I also changed the tq converter seal and the rear seal on the tranny since it was down..... Now my problem is I cant get the tranny to fit back on the block..I have about 1in from the tranny to the block..and I cant for the life of me getting closer....Any ideas? Its sucks to because Its in Phoenix and it reached 120 degrees today in the garage!!!!:mad::notnice::shrug:

Thanks for any advice....

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you don't have the torque convertor fully seated, I believe you have to rotate it while pushing it on and should hear 3 distinct clicks I believe it is. I have read that if you can get your hand between the conv. and bellhousing it's not all the way on. I've also read that if you try to 'draw it up' with the flywheel bolts you will break it. I'd take it back down and check it. I had a link showing a flat edge across the face of the bellhousing and a measurement to the flywheel/tq conv. I'll look for.
Jon