Torque covertor?? help or hurt...

I have an AOD and the car is a pig and I wanna go with a 2500 stall convertor, shift kit, and 4.10's. The motor is bone stock except for exhaust such as h-pipe and cat-back. My current times are around 15.3-15.4 and I was wondering how much I will pick up or if it will hurt me since im stock by doing this and if so will I be able to keep up with the stick cars, if not I'm just gonna throw a 5-speed in it cause it will cost about the same. Thanks for your help guys and tell me what you think....

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, absolutely, the converter,shift kit and gears will help your stock engine. Your ETs will get better. Will you be able to keep up with a stick car? Maybe. Maybe not. I really think you would need more stall than that, but I could be wrong.

I agree. You'll really like a higher stall in your car but 2500 might be too low. I'd be looking in the 2800-3000 range. It will make a ton of difference but you might have to think about some sticky tires. I didn't have much more than you except for a few induction upgrades and I just blew the tires away when I upgraded my stall. You'll be knocking on the 13's in no time. Check out www.edgeracingconverters.com for some of their stuff. A bunch of us use their stall and it is awesome.

ive got a transgo shift kit and 4.10s in my 88 AOD. my dude has an 88 5 speed with pullies and exhaust corse he still has 2.73s. And i kill him every time we race. however i have been told that my cars pretty fast for a stock AOD, sorry i have no times. I would think if you had a good shift kit and 4.10s with a 2500 stall, you would have no prob at all with most of the stick guys.

Hey Fivelitercoupe,I just bought my 93 lx aod in sept.,the same thing it was a total dog! Your on the rite path ,I have a 2800 stall and it could be a little tighter,so yea 2400--2500 is perfect!But once I got the stall put in ( even with the 2.73 gears) the car would smoke em off the line!And just 2 weeks ago I got 3.73's and a trans go shift kit installed,and the car behaves TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!! The next thing I gotta do and you should to if you get a stall is to get a tranny cooler!! Otherwise I hear these aod's will burn out!!

Sweet!! Thats an awesome gain and I'm deffinetly lookin forward to that.
thats not a bad deal at all on the tranny coolers so I'll go ahead and get one when i get the money. But yea traction is gonna be a big issue in the end so we will see what happens...

Just be careful that you dont snap and axle or anything by trying to launch it real hard on slicks, Ive heard of people breakin them casue there not to strong. But I dont know that it wont hold up for a fact so I guess just see what happens, I'm probably gonna run a radial and go from there...

I am also installing 4.10 gears soon. After that, a valve body and converter are going in.

So, a 2,500-3,000 stall is recommended for this application? (Don't mean to take your thread 5litercoupe, I am trying to find what is recommended as I will be doing all of this very soon also).<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3688642", true); </SCRIPT>

Davs50: Which converter are you running from edge? Who else is running them on here that I might be able to talk to? How many miles did your tranny have on it when you installed it? ARe you running the lockup or nonlockuop? If non lockup how many rpms do you run at 70 on the freeway? I was trying to hold out for a pi stallion but if these edge ones are just as good they are half the price....

Nottoofast50 said:
Davs50: Which converter are you running from edge? Who else is running them on here that I might be able to talk to? How many miles did your tranny have on it when you installed it? ARe you running the lockup or nonlockuop? If non lockup how many rpms do you run at 70 on the freeway? I was trying to hold out for a pi stallion but if these edge ones are just as good they are half the price....
I got a PI conv. yea alittle pricey but it will last the life of the tranny.I got a lockup, the non-lockups run a little hotter.I only had 20,000 miles on the tranny when I had it installed.It all depends on what gears you have.With 2.73's I was running 1750 rpm at 70.With 3.73's Im at 2300 rpm.