torque-curve spacer????

FRB427

Oct 9, 2004
south jersey
I was reading 5.0 and saw an add in the back of the Oct. 06 issue (Yes i am a little behind) for the torque-curve spacer. This is on page 192. The web-site for the manufacture of the spacer is www.hamburgersperformace.com

From what i have read and found on the web, it looks like this is a spacer that would go between the throttle body and the manifold. Long story short, this spacer reduces the turbulence being drawn into the engine. This makes sense, people have been doing this for years with carbarator set-ups.

Has anyone purchased one of these or does anyone have any opinion on this?

I have the BBK throttle body that is going to go on this winter and i wanted to know what people think. In my opinion, i believe this would make the aftermarket throttle body even more effective.

Any knowledge anyone has, please share. My goal is to create as much horsepower as possible going naturally aspirated.

• Sponsors (?)

There have been a few threads on both the TB spacers and aftermarket TB's. the aftermarket TB's have been hotly debated, with most thinking them a waste of money for two reasons: (1) the stock throttle body flows more air than the engine can take N/A already, so the extra volume is not needed or used, and (2) the aftermarket TB's have caused problems like high reving at idle, surging, throwing codes for stuck blades (when they weren't), etc.

The TB spacers have been dyno tested by various persons and have shown anywhere from a 12 HP gain, to I believe I saw a 1 hp loss somewhere. But for the price, it's an inexpensive mod and if it gives no noticeable gain, you aren't out a lot of money.

But, I have personally tried neither, so this is me summarizing various other posts I have read. And as with anything, YMMV. Good luck!

I know that a spacer will get a big gain on a carbed application, this is due to the MUCH shorter intake length compared to EFI versions. Also helps a lot to get the carb (which holds fuel inside) isolated from the heat, again, not as big of a deal as an EFI application since the logs are much more isolated from heat by comparison.

I don't have enogh experience with EFI performance to have an opinion on them though :D