Torsen & Rear-end experts, I need your helping eyes

GT12207

Feb 5, 2003
California
Torsen & Rear-end experts, I need your helping eyes [pics]

I know almost nothing about differentials, but recently bought what i was told as a "New Ford Torsen T2 differential".

I just compared it to the picture of the Torsen T2 on the Fordracing website, and it looks different. The one on the Ford website has round holes around the side wall, mine doesn't.

So do I really have a new REAL torsen T2 or have I been scammed? First pic is the real one i got from Fordracing website; the rest are mine.

torsen.jpg

These pics are of mine:
DSC00131.JPG

-
DSC00132.JPG

-
DSC00133.JPG

-
DSC00134.JPG

-
DSC00135.JPG

-
DSC00136.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

"this hole is different then mine" is the same as your pic 3. the round holes are probably there spacifically to SHOW the gears inside the housing, rather then being there for a reason.

i think its the same. also, i dont think its a torsen... tracloc maybe... but i coulda sworn the torsen looks different...

Torinalth

I grabbed the one that I just ordered and it looks the same as your pictures. I just figured that the case has been changed since the differential was first released and that Ford never up dated their catalog.

I'm still trying to get in touch with an engineer at Torsen in NY, but I do have some new info. IT IS a real torsen (torque sensing differential). The serial number should start with "9702...). It was originally made for the special edition Ford Ranger FX4 Levell II. It is essentially the T2, but not really; because it is preloaded, but not enough to be considered as the T2R.

The one final question i'm trying to get an answer is HOW STRONG IS THIS PUPPY.

Thank you to everyone who helped me on this thread; really appreciate it and I hope it helps others.