Totaled my truck today

• Sponsors (?)

10 years, that's what he told me. Dodge insists that the engine have an average life of 10 years. If they lasted forever, they wouldn't be able to sell you another truck.

Kurt

There's tons of first gens that are older then that running around.

It's like everything else though. Ford guys will bash Chevy, Dodge, whatever and support their brand.

I have owned a Toyota, Ranger, and now my Ram. I loved my Toyota. I beat the piss outta that thing. I hated the Ranger. Yes it was an 85 so the newer ones might be better. It was the biggest pos I've ever driven. The Ram is awesome. Yes dodge has it's issues here and there as do the rest of them. Proper maintenance and you'll get years outta any vehicle.

You'll never hear me bash Ford. I can't I own Mustangs lol. I had a Explorer and it was great. They are great vehicles. Chevy on the other hand I'll talk trash all day long lol.

I support Dodge now as well as Mustangs. You'd be surprised how many Ram owners also own stangs

well I totaled the truck today. Was heading up to friends house for some PS3 gaming. Another car pulled off a side road in front of me, I never saw them until it was to late and I hit the car going about 50MPH. Both her door and steering wheel air bags went off, neither one of mine did and I slammed my head off the steering wheel. Both of us went to the hospital. I'm fine other then a huge knot above my eye and a black eye that looks like looks like rampage jackson lit me up. Pretty sure the insurance company will total it out, its damaged pretty bad. Better the truck then the Mustang I guess. It was paid off in 2 more payments.

View attachment 206212

Must have been the curse of that ugly blue sticker you had on your window ;)

Glad you're alright, and seriously glad it wasn't the stang :nice:

There's tons of first gens that are older then that running around.

I have owned a Toyota, Ranger, and now my Ram. I loved my Toyota. I beat the piss outta that thing. I hated the Ranger. Yes it was an 85 so the newer ones might be better. It was the biggest pos I've ever driven. The Ram is awesome. Yes dodge has it's issues here and there as do the rest of them. Proper maintenance and you'll get years outta any vehicle.

I've had a Toyota. I don't bash GMs anymore, I'd probably own one if it was the right car. But god Dodge's are aweful. I mean, of course there are going to be a few who made it through. Average life doesn't cut out all the straglers. My friend inherited a Durango with this marriage. By 80,000 miles it was eating up over $5000/yr in maintenance. It was dead steady too, no hope of recovering. It was on it's 3rd transmission, 2nd rear end, and then the engine started consuming water. So he finally got rid of it. I have 2 friends who had late 90s SS/T trucks. They were part of the Dodge cult. Both of the trucks don't run now, with less than 100,000 miles on them due to catastrophic electrical failure. And it's not like they didn't care, both of these trucks have 408s in them. At 72,000 miles one of them pulled the engine to put his 408 and found that half the cam bearings were cracked and missing chunks.

I'm sorry, I just can't see myself owning a Dodge. If Mercedes Benz couldn't save that company what makes Fiat think they can, much less the government.

Kurt

i had a similar accident in my 01 mustang. a 16 yo girl turned across traffic right in front of me. the car had less than 10K miles on her ... totalled.

as others have said, the important thing is that everyone was ok.

but it does suck that you are losing a vehicle that would have been paid off. i hope you get enough from the insurance to be able to get something that you don't have a monthly payment for.

i hope you get enough from the insurance to be able to get something that you don't have a monthly payment for.

The purpose of insurance is to be able to replace a totaled vehicle with one of comparable value. The problem is, all insurance companies will try to low-ball you into taking less than you're entitled to. The older your car, the less they try to pay you. Up to you if you want to fight for what you think your Ranger was worth.

I've never been low balled by insurance company. They always seem to pay what it's worth. I just think some people have an unrealistic idea of what their own car is worth.

Kurt

I've had bad luck twice with insurance companies: once with Allstate and once with Mercury. Both claimed my 94 V6 (now the Cobra clone) was worth much less than blue book value. The "comparable" Mustangs they listed had little to no options (my V6 had everything except leather) and had horrible paint. Comparable mustangs were worth about $3K here in Southern California. I had to hire an outside appraiser to get Allstate to back down and agree to repair the vehicle. Mercury finally gave in after refusing to settle for about 3 months.

Kurt, I do agree with you; most folks overvalue their property, including cars. The issue may simply be the age of the car - in both cases, the V6 was over 150K miles. It could also simply be the appraisers I've dealt with here in SoCal - get a jerk, and you'll have to fight. Get a nice, reasonable one - no problems.

Insurance Companies don't go by KBB. They have their own internal appraisal system based on fair market value. That being said, Rangers are trendy vehicles and tend to be worth good money. Them being trendy is what leads to the equal value of the full size F150 to the compact Ford Ranger.

Kurt

Agreed Kurt. V6's are a dime a dozen, which didn't help in my case. As long as Venom351R is happy with what his insurance company offers as a settlement, that's all that matters. If he doesn't, he can negotiate for a better one.

I know they wont go exactly by KBB but it was a reference to go by. I'm going to go get checked out tomorrow, I felt really weird all day long and have been displaying a lot of symptoms of post concussion syndrome all day at work today. I just dont feel right

Called out from work today so I could go to the DR's and get checked out since I did not feel normal all day at work yesterday or last night. They diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. They wrote me a note for a week of from work. I go back in on tues to get re evaluated again to see if I can return on weds.