town car 5.0 in mustang

89notchHUSS

May 23, 2010
i bought a 5.0 efi out of an lincoln town car can i use this in my mustang iv heard i cant use gt40 heads or a mild cam because it has flat top pistons only e7 heads and stock h.o. cam i really need to get this project going so any help is appriciated

• Sponsors (?)

notch those pistons and you can slap whatever head you want on there. Honestly the town car engine isnt a good swap candidate for the very reasons you just listed. Its almost 70 horse shy of the H.O motor and you will be hating the lack of power when you get it installed.

On the plus side it is a roller ready block so first off I would install a roller lifter set up from a mustang.
I would then either get the pistons notched to accept a set of gt40 heads.
Stick with the mustang H.O camshaft.
Not sure if the lincolns used 19lb injectors but you will want a set of those.
Top it off with preferably an explorer intake and call it a day.

Yep,install the H.O cam and Explorer intake,Mustang Exhaust and go.It already has roller lifters in it.The E-6 heads as well.They aren't much good,but a set of E-7's from an EFI 5.0 truck will fix that.I had an E303,ported E-7 heads and a lot of fun with my last engine.Never any issues (with the flat top pistons).But,the H.O cam will do just fine without any worries.

Yep,install the H.O cam and Explorer intake,Mustang Exhaust and go.It already has roller lifters in it.The E-6 heads as well.They aren't much good,but a set of E-7's from an EFI 5.0 truck will fix that.I had an E303,ported E-7 heads and a lot of fun with my last engine.Never any issues (with the flat top pistons).But,the H.O cam will do just fine without any worries.

Panther body cars (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) used 16-pound injectors, same as the Fox T-bird/Cougar/lo-po 5.0 Mark VII cars. The HO cam, E7 heads, and Fox 5.0 ECM make 19-pound injectors mandatory. The intake manifolds are also slightly different, and the lo-po 5.0's used a smaller-bore throttle body and EGR spacer. The intake is slightly different between the non-HO and HO motors, too - not just the fact that they point opposite directions (they're both reversible, actually), but that they have slightly different flow rates. (Can't remember right off hand if it's the upper or lower manifold, specifically, that's different between the two... :scratch: )

As far as the block itself goes, all '86+ EFI Panther cars had roller 5.0's, so no need for any conversion to be done there. Aside from the piston-to-valve clearance issues, E7 heads are a direct bolt-on.

Also, just an FYI, the firing order on the lo-po 5.0's is different than on the HO motors.

I'd bet you could use the GT40 heads as long as you stick with the H.O cam.

The issue of flat-top pistons and E7 heads seems to be hit-and-miss from what I've read; some folks have been able to just slap on a set of E7's with an HO cam and have no problems, while others have checked their piston-to-valve clearance before assembly and found that it's a no-go deal without either notching the pistons or switching to pistons cast with valve reliefs. You could try it and see how it clears before you fully assemble it, but I'd say the odds aren't in your favor of getting E7's on there without notching the pistons, even with an HO cam. :shrug:

Step 1: Sell Lincoln motor.

Step 2: Buy Explorer motor.

Step 3: Upgrade cam and valve springs in Explorer motor.

Step 4: Install Explorer motor in Mustang.

Step 5: Enjoy.

Seriously. That Lincoln motor is junk. You're going to either end up tossing most of the parts on it, or you're going to have a poor-performing V8.

True. If you've already got a bunch of the parts laying around from an HO motor to put in there and you just need it for the short block, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, yeah, it's pretty much a lot of wasted time, money, and effort. Usually, it's the non-HO guys trying to put an HO motor or HO parts in their car, rather than the HO guys trying to put non-HO motors in their engine bay.