Toying with an idea, need someone to tell me I'm cra-cra.

I wouldn't do it , built a 92 calypso 4 cyl with a 468 bbc in it for a friend .... fast car , doesn't handle , and is a complete chore for a street car .....

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, it took me a while to come back to this thread! You guys are all making sense, and I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. I guess what is driving me to this, is that I have been doing a lot of soul searching on ways to make my car truly different. "Different" is of course, not often easy or logical. I have toyed with the idea of a 5.4 mod swap, and a buddy of mine has been (somewhat comically) trying to convince me to stuff a 6.8 in it. I've also done some research on the LS swap, but I find that to be more "deranged" than "different".

If you want to be different with the cubes go small. Throw an ecoboost or some crazy **** like that in it.

Aw hell no. I vow to never reduce the amount of displacement my car has, unless the government finds a way to force me to do it (kind of like how they just found a way to force $25 more tax out of my paycheck). For this reason the car will never have a 4.6 in it, because I'd only ever be happy with it if it had boost, and by then I'd be $10K into it.

If you're keeping it a street car I wouldn't do it.

This is actually the one thing that will truly make or break this whole thing for me. Streetability in this car is KING for me, in the summer I drive it 30 minutes to and from work just about every day.

You already have cylinder heads that would be right at home on a nice litte 357w, put a good manifold with a 4150 TB, and make 500hp easy, with less weight on the nose.

Yea, my common sense keeps telling me to stick with the good parts I already have. My common sense has a very quiet voice, though.

this is a crack driven pipe dream lol

Yea, that's pretty spot on. :D

I did it, exactly like you're planning. (Well except for the EFI conversion part)
Stock bottom end except for the quart coffee can sized heavy assed TRW L2404 dished pistons. Truck rods (because they have better rod bolts,...football head oval topped rod bolts, as opposed to the straight cut, standard ones)
A comp flat tappet cam (like 590 lift w/ a 250 actual duration at .050)
A Weiand Stealth intake w/ a Holley 3310 carb, W/ stock cast iron :banana:THUNDER JET :banana: (C9AE castings off of 69 429) hand ported heads . As opposed to the more desirable Cobra jet D0OE or D0Ve heads.

Junk converter, Owner built C-4, 4.11rear gears in a 31 splined 8.8 that I drove in to the drag strip on Pump premium, beat the snot out of, and drove home, every Saturday night, all summer long back in 95.

Why would you do that?
7.05 on the motor in the 1/8th, 6. 50 on a 125 shot,...6.37 on a staged second 125 shot,...6.22 when you sprayed em both at the same time. Keep in mind that I'm talking 466,...not a stroked combo, w/a carb, flat tappet little cam (for that motor) stock cast iron passenger car heads, w/ power shot plate(s) stacked on a Weiand stealth. (Talk about red neck)

Even Yoda had to start learning somewhere.

Probably had 10,000 miles on junk stuff and 100 HARD passes at the track on it when I rattled the engine too bad spraying both kits, at the same time (I'll admit to not knowing Jack about mixing too much nitrous, waaay too much timing, and not enough octane back then)

But,.....the short block that I had to replace because I split a cylinder? Uhhhh $600.00, machined.

There are no modifications required other than mounts and swap headers,...admittedly, it'll corner like a steamship and will feel like you went back to the all you can eat buffet one time too many,............but when you swat the throttle w/ a pair of really sticky tires at the track and the front tires leave the earth,..........even w/ all that weight.....:D

Thanks man, I was hoping you had a good story for this one. :nice:

If i had the money i would sooner look into a big cube aftermarket block stroker. You can get big block cubes in a small block package, spare the weight and enormous size and still be able to use small block parts. I think even with the aftermarket block you would spend less money than building an equally powerful big block.

Reactions: 1 user
If i had the money i would sooner look into a big cube aftermarket block stroker. You can get big block cubes in a small block package, spare the weight and enormous size and still be able to use small block parts. I think even with the aftermarket block you would spend less money than building an equally powerful big block.

Not really as far as money goes anyways, I put a stock block, crank, rods, unported c8 headed 466 with Keith Black pistons into the mid 6's 1/8th the engine just had a victor intake and a solid flat tappet cam but a power glide with a good converter. With some aluminum cobra jets it went 6.40 changing nothing else but the heads. For big n/a power its hard to beat a big block. It still wouldn't be my choice for a street car though

I thought the BBF went into the Fox chassis fairly easy.
What is all this talk about "cutting up the car" and such?
It does,...but all you gotta do is read the above. Nik has pretty much had the whole BBF swap decision squelched by the return to reality he is starting to show signs of in his last reply.

It would be as simple as mounts and a set of the right headers, with a bell housing to adapt either a C-4, or a Glide to the thing. A driveshaft shortening, and you got a running pig.

My example came from my broke assed status in the early 90's. I wanted a fast car that could be built cheap and keep it all Ford. I probably had 2000.00-2500.00 in a fresh combo (including heads, ss valves, springs, pistons, rods, intake, carb, dist, and headers), that's including the home built "Truck" C-4 trans" that went 7 oh's (that's an 11 oh in 1/4 mile speak) while still allowing me to street drive it.

For the full story,...http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...bout-nitrous-the-hard-way-only-1-left.841076/

I've seen in person 5.4 NA and 5.4 SC swaps.
The NA 5.4 makes absolutely no sense. Big money for low numbers.
The lightning swap is pretty cool, but it sits very high, and isn't exactly a light engine either.

There isn't much that hasn't been done with a foxbody at this point, unique is going to be something tough to come by when it comes to drivetrain.

When i did the 4.6 swap is wasn't based much on unique, more my love of the foxbody and 03 cobra, coupled with the fact that you can have 500rwhp that is daily driver reliable, starts and idles like a stock car (sometimes i do miss the lumpy idle though) and would be 600rwhp capable in the future without worrying about head gaskets, broken blocks, tossed belts etc.

Right now i feel like i have the most fun car ford ever made with the best engine.
Needless to say, i do alot of steering with the rear wheels.

The lightning swap is pretty cool, but it sits very high, and isn't exactly a light engine either.

There isn't much that hasn't been done with a foxbody at this point, unique is going to be something tough to come by when it comes to drivetrain.

When i did the 4.6 swap is wasn't based much on unique, more my love of the foxbody and 03 cobra, coupled with the fact that you can have 500rwhp that is daily driver reliable, starts and idles like a stock car (sometimes i do miss the lumpy idle though) and would be 600rwhp capable in the future without worrying about head gaskets, broken blocks, tossed belts etc.

Right now i feel like i have the most fun car ford ever made with the best engine.

If a Termi motor fell into my lap, I would undoubtedly do it. Unfortunately, healthy examples of complete Termi motors for sale are getting rarer and rarer, and people want big money for them. That would be about the only 4.6 option I'd consider, anything else is either going to cost an assload of money, or make my car go slower.

I still think the EFI 351c is both easy enough, and relatively unique as Fox Mustangs go.

Meh, I feel like a 351C would be doing it just to do it. For all intents and purposes, it's a Windsor but with more hoops to jump through and will leave me with a lighter wallet.

I still have not seen the current 305hp/30mpg V6 swapped into a Fox. That's a 12 second engine in a Fox that will probably net you 30+mpg easily in a car that weighs 500lbs less than what it came out of.

I still have not seen the current 305hp/30mpg V6 swapped into a Fox. That's a 12 second engine in a Fox that will probably net you 30+mpg easily in a car that weighs 500lbs less than what it came out of.

Troofs... I'm sure that there's some douche canoe out there right now, that's just itching to total the car that mommy and daddy bought him so that you can have the motor. :nice:

Here's one for ya... bet you'd have the only Fox with this Ford engine.
GAA-17-jpeg.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I have never heard a Cleveland referred to as essentially a Windsor...

Man, Rate I gotta say you got it bad for a 351C. I thought about doing one for about 30 seconds, myself.
I don't think Nik is arguing that a Cleveland is actually a Windsor,...I think he is saying that when it's all said and done, it's essentially still a 351.
But with less modification options than the assload you get w/ a Windsor.

hrdp_0908_01_z%2Bford_427_cammer_engine_build%2B.jpg

My personal engine of choice when you have 38,000 to spend. All aluminum 496 Cammer. Thank you mr. Kraft.

or:

Kaase-Boss-429-Engine.jpg

Kaase's Boss 520:drool:

Attachments

• hrdp_0908_01_z%2Bford_427_cammer_engine_build%2B.jpg
    hrdp_0908_01_z%2Bford_427_cammer_engine_build%2B.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Kaase-Boss-429-Engine.jpg
    Kaase-Boss-429-Engine.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 109