Toying with an idea, need someone to tell me I'm cra-cra.

Well if you want to be different, go big or go home. Ford GAA. 18 liters that produces 1000 ft. lbs of torque AT IDLE. All aluminum DOHC engine designed and built in the 40's for air planes. Originally supposed to be a 12 cylinder but Ford chopped off 4 cylinders and put it in tanks for WWII

Or 7.3 swap.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

we through together a stock 351w shortblock at 10.5:1 compression with an old set of 4v closed chamber cleveland heads and it ended up running 6.80s@97mph on the motor in the 1/8th mile in a 3000lb lx. i couldnt freaking believe those old ass heads hauled balls.

Turbo your 5.0 nik. It will make you much more happy. (experience is a bitch lol)

A n/a bbf isnt that much heavier really. But if I were going to do a n/a engine I would do a 12.1 aluminum headed 408 cleveland with a single plane and a large solid roller. But for me I love the modular smoothness and reliability, so thats what im doing.

we through together a stock 351w shortblock at 10.5:1 compression with an old set of 4v closed chamber cleveland heads and it ended up running 6.80s@97mph on the motor in the 1/8th mile in a 3000lb lx. i couldnt freaking believe those old ass heads hauled balls.
I saw a 67 convertible with an all iron (including intake) 351c (no stroker) and Toploader 4 speed pull 11.0 seconds in the quarter it's first run after a rebuild! It was a full on street car with NO safety mods. They kicked him out of the track and told him to never bring that car back.

Edit:
Until the LS1 Camaro in 1998, the fastest US production car quarter mile was held by the 71 Boss 351 Mustang! That HUGE Mustang with only 351 cubes... Beat out 427s, 428s, 429s, 454s, etc... Fancy names like Cobra Jet, Boss 429, LS6, were all slower in the quarter, and often in lighter cars.

Yea those 4V heads were ahead of their time, that's for sure. It's funny to see 4V headed-engine builds pop up in car mags from time to time, because with a good intake manifold and cam, they always end up making respectable power.

Turbo your 5.0 nik. It will make you much more happy. (experience is a **** lol)

A n/a bbf isnt that much heavier really. But if I were going to do a n/a engine I would do a 12.1 aluminum headed 408 cleveland with a single plane and a large solid roller. But for me I love the modular smoothness and reliability, so thats what im doing.

Hey man, where you been?! Almost thought you were dead, haha.

Yea, I have also thought about throwing boost at my car. I'm just really afraid of owning two really expensive 4-cylinder flower pots. I want to get away from the brittle glass junk that is the roller 302. I was actually really close to buying a Vortech kit for my car, but then there was a shlew of guys over on the Corral that grenaded their roller 302s at the end of last season and I think it forever solidified my desire to get rid of mine.

My father-n-law is putting together a 408 Clevor right now. 351 roller block, ported 4V heads, solid roller and the new TFS carb intake. Compression should be somewhere between12-13:1 when complete. Hoping for 600HP when complete. All that was needed for the swap was a set of headers (I think the are BBF to fox chasis headers) and the 351 fox oil pan.

Joe

2.19" intake valves and huge ports are bound to do something lol!

yeah, like a 3.0" square inch minimum cross section. for reference my RHS 215s are a little over 2.4" minimum cross section and my old TFS 170 TWs were right at 2.1". i thought for sure that big of a head would be a dog, especially with 10.5:1 and a 255* @ .050 solid flat tappet.

Alwys wnted to do a BBF in a fox. I know all the cons to it, but love the thought of building a cr with the motor I'll eventually remove from my truck. It will probably get a diesel, so it would be a shame to chuck a fresh 460.

How about some eye candy....
Copy_of_Picture_011.jpg

I agree with Josh. Put a turbo or SC on and enjoy. You spent a lot of time and money to build the set up you have now. You might as well maximize what you have.

Sent by Siri using Tapatalk

I saw a 67 convertible with an all iron (including intake) 351c (no stroker) and Toploader 4 speed pull 11.0 seconds in the quarter it's first run after a rebuild! It was a full on street car with NO safety mods. They kicked him out of the track and told him to never bring that car back.

Edit:
Until the LS1 Camaro in 1998, the fastest US production car quarter mile was held by the 71 Boss 351 Mustang! That HUGE Mustang with only 351 cubes... Beat out 427s, 428s, 429s, 454s, etc... Fancy names like Cobra Jet, Boss 429, LS6, were all slower in the quarter, and often in lighter cars.

I gotta problem w/ your edit Rate. I cannot believe that a low compression smog motor in a big assed LTD w/ a fast back(read 1971-1973 Mustang) Let's just refer to that body style as the "USS Saratoga" years for short,........ was the fastest US production car ever. The only reason it could've possibly been faster when compared to the other icons you listed was that they were all handicapped w/massive tire spin, ( an ailment that the 71 Boss 351 had very little of) :banana:

Edit** Better check your facts,..."up until 1998"?.......Remember Buick GNX?

Edit** Better check your facts,..."up until 1998"?.......Remember Buick GNX?

Yeah, I think you're right about the GNX...
I wonder what it's 'off the showroom floor' quarter mile time was...
It's possible the GNX was dismissed by the authors of the chart I was looking at because it had a power adder. ???
As for the Boss 351, I think you dismiss it a little too quickly.
All us old folk have seen the Cleveland do some pretty amazing things, and even though it was in a tank, the Boss was the strongest of them all.

Nik... Stop being a puss

BB99F773-B772-4B98-A52C-83B00368A2ED-2904-000002285567668D.jpg

That's what you need!

Attachments

• BB99F773-B772-4B98-A52C-83B00368A2ED-2904-000002285567668D.jpg
    BB99F773-B772-4B98-A52C-83B00368A2ED-2904-000002285567668D.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 81