tps voltage

schiccc

Feb 1, 2004
i have a professional products tb 70mm. my question is what is the best tps voltage. the car likes to idle at 1500 after i drive for a period of time i cleanrd the iac motor did not help. anybody had a problem with this tb.

• Sponsors (?)

"Hey Peter, what's happening? Yea, we have sort of a problem here, yea, it seems you didnt put one of the new cover sheets on one of your TPS reports? Yea, ya see we're putting these new cover sheets on all TPS reports now........did you see the memo about this?

ok i'm sorry, i have zero input for this....i just couldnt resist posting that...

I don't know the exact wires so maybe someone will clue in but you can find which ones I'm talking about through trial and error. Anyways, with key on engine off place a votage meter on the tps (votage between .92-.99). I'm pretty sure it's the black wire and the orange(or black and green). If you have the wrong wires it will read a rather high number...shouldn't be anymore then a volt or so. If you need to adjust it, unscrew the two screws and rotate the tps till it is within range. You might need to widen the holes for proper adjustment.

fred

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
"Hey Peter, what's happening? Yea, we have sort of a problem here, yea, it seems you didnt put one of the new cover sheets on one of your TPS reports? Yea, ya see we're putting these new cover sheets on all TPS reports now........did you see the memo about this?

ok i'm sorry, i have zero input for this....i just couldnt resist posting that...

I can not wait till the time comes to take my computer out in the woods :nice:

What are you going to do, shoot it?

It is the Blk and green wires. Stick some safety pins in them and turn the key to on, dont start it. Set the throttle stop screw first, then adjust the TPS to .90-95 volts. If you go higher, the puter may raise the idle because it looks like you are holding you foot on the gas when it sees 1v or more.

You are supposed to use a .003 feeler guage and turn the throttle stop screw till it touches. then remove the guage and turn it 1/4 turn more or something, but I like I said, set this before the TPS.

This prolly will do nothing at all for you. My TPS was at .78v and I set it to .95v, made no difference as far as I can tell.

To quote Probst, "The TP potentiometer operates from v-ref of 5v. The TP signals affect injected fuel, spark timing, idle rpm, and emissions. The TP sensor is an important sensor." He goes on to say that all systems since 1988 dont have an adj. TPS, the puter reads whatever the value is at closed throttle and resets itself when you change sensors. This means that it doesnt matter what it is set at, the puter will compensate.

You probably have to set the idle speed with the TB adjustment screw with the ISC disconnected. Set it so it runs about 100 RPM slower than normal. Then connect the ISC and the PCM should control the idle. It is possible that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Good Luck, Don

iac motor

gt90stang said:
You probably have to set the idle speed with the TB adjustment screw with the ISC disconnected. Set it so it runs about 100 RPM slower than normal. Then connect the ISC and the PCM should control the idle. It is possible that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Good Luck, Don
when i unplugg the iac motor the idle does not change which leads me to beleive its the iac motor

85_SS_302_Coupe said:

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :nice: :nice:

If the idle is too high the IAC will not do anything to control the idle. Sounds like you either have the TB idle adjusted wrong or you have an air leak after the TB.

Good Luck, Don

Ford 21.95 after taxes IAC spacer with controlable adjustment's used for car's that Idle problem Mass Air welll 70mm is alot of air I had a similiar problem and it was a loose bolt on my manifold and that spacer was big dAMN HELP bUT LIKE THEY SAY From a cold engine unplug the IAC make sure you are at 700rpms adjust if not and then plug it back in when your Idle is at the correct rpm's.

schiccc said:
i have a professional products tb 70mm. my question is what is the best tps voltage. the car likes to idle at 1500 after i drive for a period of time i cleanrd the iac motor did not help. anybody had a problem with this tb.

I had the exact same problem. It turned out to by my tb the buttery fly was bent so i put on a diffrent tb and problem solved idleing back at 800-900.

When you check the TPS voltage, I heard you are supposed to connect the positive side of the voltometer to the green wire, and the negative side to a ground, like the engine. I've never done it though.

What's the proper way to do it? I'm about to do it today, but I don't want to cut up the insulation on the wrong wires if I don't have to.