Traction Lock or Conventional?

Fastbackman

May 10, 2004
I am in the process of installing a lincoln versailles rearend in my 1965 fastback. Since the gears in these leave something to be desired, I was wanting to use the third member out of the 1958 Ford station wagon rearend that I have. It has 3.70 gears in it but I'm not sure how to tell if it is open or traction lock. I have the third member out and am able to see everything good, but I'm not sure what to look for. I lost the original data plate that was on it when I painted the rearend. If I get my digicam working, I'll post pics, but if someone has pics they could post to show me what to look for, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, my lincoln rearend is a big tube 9 inch. I've read that all versailles have 28 spline, but being the big tube, will it be 31 spline or 28?

• Sponsors (?)

all versailles rears were 28 spline.unless someone has changed the differential it will most likely be an open diff. i don't think they had a locker in 58 and the traction loc didn't come around until 67 or 68, before that there was the equa loc but it only came out a few years before the trac loc.

If you are trying to identify whether or not you have an open carrier or trac-loc then no pictures are required. Simply look in the driver's side of the carrier at the splines on the spider gears that the axles go into.....if there is a parting line (looks like 2 pieces stacked together) then it is a trac-loc and if it is one solid piece it is open. It is also kind of hard to miss the bulging driver's side of the carrier itself with the recessed ring retaining bolts....plus, on a trac-loc these bolts have a 5/8" head and on an open carrier they are 3/4".

Thanks for all the replies so far. The bolts do require a 5/8" socket, which led me to believe it was traction lock and from the pictures at ultrastang it looks more like a locker. I'm going to take a good look tomorrow and try to get some pics to post. Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

Ronstang. I looked through it and there is what looks like a big round pin that would be between the two axles. Is this what you were referring to as a parting line? Everything points to a locker to me, but still not sure?

No, that pin is the support for the spider gears. The parting line I am talking about is in the actual splines that the axle would engage....and it is because there are two pieces there....the outer gear and the inner part that butts against the clutches.

Guys. I have some pics of the third member now but I cant upload them. Each picture shows to be over 700kb and the manage attachment feature tell me to limit the file size to about 70kb. Can anyone tell me how to get these pictures attached?

Alright. Here are two of the pictures finally!

Attachments

• IM000283.jpg
    IM000283.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IM000284.jpg
    IM000284.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 114
You could probably sell the '58 housing and pumpkin for a decent amount, and then go buy a t-lock. That's what I would do.... Or use the 3.70 open in the mean time. Man, you have 2 of the most desirable rear ends to classic mustang owners!

Yeah. I'm not too disappointed. I just hoped to get lucky and have a locker. I'm happy with the lincoln rearend and with probably put the open 3.70 in for awhile, but I'd like to find a locker. I think I can find a 31 spline locker pretty easy and cheap, but the 28 spline will be another story. If I find a good geared 31 spline, could I buy 31 spline axles in the right length without getting into something custom made and expensive?

It shouldn't be too much of a deal to get axles. I think the Versailles axles are a bit longer from the bearing to the axle face than other fords, so you would need to give that dimension. The caliper mount is kinda wierd too-- may not be an issue though. If it is, the 1995+ explorer brakes are supposed be be a bolt on.
You wouldn't happen to be in CA, would ya?