Traction problem w/stock 03' GT?

modu1ar tek

Sep 15, 2003
I hadn't gotten on my car the whole week, so tonight I went on this nice straight onramp and let it rip from about 0-100. I noticed that until about 4k rpm in first the car didn't have much traction, I did a very good shift into 2nd and the car peeled. Now..I have 275/35/18 Kumho Ecsta Supras in the rears that are about a year old, but they still have plenty of threadlife.

So what could it be?

1) The tires I have(Kumhos) suck at traction, stock Goodyears are much better.
2) The tires are fine, the cold weather+ the fact that the GT is a quick car result in no traction by romping it in first.

• Sponsors (?)

modu1ar tek said:
I hadn't gotten on my car the whole week, so tonight I went on this nice straight onramp and let it rip from about 0-100. I noticed that until about 4k rpm in first the car didn't have much traction, I did a very good shift into 2nd and the car peeled. Now..I have 275/35/18 Kumho Ecsta Supras in the rears that are about a year old, but they still have plenty of threadlife.

So what could it be?

1) The tires I have(Kumhos) suck at traction, stock Goodyears are much better.
2) The tires are fine, the cold weather+ the fact that the GT is a quick car result in no traction by romping it in first.

I have never owned Khumos, but if they're anything like my last set of Yokohamas, I'd say the Goodyears are better. I was able to cut 2.0 60' times with the stock Goodyears, stock gears, and stock suspension, with like 20K on the tires. I don't know why everyone says they suck so bad. Secondly, cold weather never helps traction. I'm going nuts because it's pretty cold here, and I just got my 4.10's.....No traction. Next time, just get some Nittos. :nice: