Trade down for build?

ccaarmerciill

Oct 27, 2010
Scenario: I have a 1995 Mustang 5.0, body has 200k miles but in EXCELLENT shape, engine has around 80k. Has the Auto/ overdrive transmission that was rebuilt, and beefed up a year ago by previous owner, stock gearing as far as I know. Has flowmaster cat back, and off road x-pipe, and cold air intake.

Now I'm planning on doing the trick flow H/C/I track heat kit this winter, and I'm in the process of selling my street bike to fund it. Yet, got offered an 89 Fox body 5.0 for a trade for it.

The 89 looks to be in excellent shape as well, and is a 5-speed (I hate automatics so that's a plus. My worries about trading my bike for this fox body, and selling my 95 mustang to fund the build, is that the T-5 transmission is kind of a weak point from what I hear, espescially after more power. Also the Fox body is a convertible, which obviously isn't good with that extra HP. Although as gay as it sounds, I definitely wouldn't mind the fox body with that top down hearing the 5.0 scream in the summer. Another down side, the fox body is 100% stock. My 95 has at least the exhaust, and intake, which will help the H/C/I build, and one less step for me to do espescially good since I'm trying to stay within a budget.

Would you reccomend I trade my bike for the fox body, and use that for the build, and sell my 95 to fund the build? I'm split between the two, going to check out the Fox body tomorrow but talking to the guy and seeing pictures is very enticing.

fox body in question:

3m63pf3la5Y35T25R0aah772be82347b5149c.jpg

3m93od3l45T45Q35W0aah3819ca3d789b16a9.jpg

3n83pc3oa5V15Y55S4aahb7b4924577681e6f.jpg

3nf3o33l25Q05P65R0aah911b7e1803c51db1.jpg

description from ad:

1989 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed 80k miles 2nd owner, this is a really nice mustang for someone looking for a clean mustang. This Car has no rust or rot at all probably one of the most cleanest mustangs around. Car could use a good detail since it's been sitting in the garage for a while. Very reliable car all stock and all orgional never abused in anyway. Cold AC, good Heat and more. Top is in great shape and does not leak at all. Car was FL and never seen snow. Clean title and car fax never wrecked, why wait till summer when you could have a clean mustang now. May consider trades for newer street bike or harley

• Sponsors (?)

You need to decide if you want to drive a sn95 or a fox.
While the drivetrain is similar, they are two very different cars.
Daily driver, the 95 is probably better.
For a weekend toy the fox is better.

And while i love foxbody verts, they certainly can't be compared to any modern convertible as far as quality. Not a car i would want to DD or drive pretty much at all in the winter.

A T5 is fine for a h/c/i car, just don't add clutch with too much grip on it.