Trade for TTop?

DRock9

Aug 22, 2006
I have a 5-speed 1990 Mustang GT with the said mods in my sig, and I found a 1988 TTop with 91K miles on it with "New Transmission and clutch 25 miles on both. New wires, plugs, battery cables, oxygen sensors, exhaust bolts, new rack and pinon steering unit, u joints, T-Top weatherstrip kit" but there are "Two rust spots on the car, 1 under the driversides footrest, and 2 driverside corner by windshield. The car needs - the left ball joint and the emergency brake adjusted. "

He is interested in doing a trade with me, possibly with me adding some cash but I am hessitant because my car runs real nice now and it only had one owner before me, the TTop I don't know yet, but I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation.

Wouldn't the TTop be worth more down the road than my 25th anniversarry edition? What is bad about having TTops?

• Sponsors (?)

I heard the biggest downside with owning a T-Top is the roof leaking, but if the weatherstrip has been replaced, it should be fine. Other than the few rust spots, what is the body like?

Unless you really want a T-Top car, I'd probably just keep the one you've got. You've put some work into it and no the history of it, so as long as you like it I say keep it!:nice:

This one is simple. If you like your car, keep it! I myself and at least 100 other people on this board have got rid of a car that they still regret. That would be a good thread to start. What did you screw up and get rid of?

once you have ttops you will never go back!! its the best of both worlds!! sure some chassis integrity issues are present, but with full length subs and a cage, your right back to the tin can you would have with a hardtop. 88s are very rare!!! Go for it and do it up right!!!

i would say go for it, but of course you need to make the right choice:shrug:

i have an 87 t-top and i absolutely love it, no leaks due to new weatherstripping and subframes, not only that you get alot of looks cause you dont see them alot:cheers:

Unless you really want a T-Top car, I'd probably just keep the one you've got. You've put some work into it and no the history of it, so as long as you like it I say keep it!:nice:

+1 on that.

plus mustang guys know that 88 t-topers are rare. most guys think that 87 was the last year but early 88's got em and that makes them the rare ones. so unless he doesn't know what he has which is doubtfull why would he trade a t-top car for a hard top, that would make think real hard about that deal. I would just really look at that car real hard inside and out, get alot of history before making a move.

best of luck :)

You know the old saying...."1 bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush..."

If you've got a great solid car I'd think really hard before trading it. Rust is like cockroaches - what you can see is nothing compared what you don't see.

Then again, the 88 t-top is rare and would be a load of fun. It depends on how much money and time you are willing to put into the T-top car to make it right.