Tranny/Clutch Problem, PLEASE HELP!

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
All right, so being the great driver that I am, I was accelerating hard in first, then shifted to second, then trtied to go to third, and missed, tried again, and it seemed like I went into first. The car sort of hopped about 10 times, and then I noticed my clutch pedal went really loose, and I couldnt get the shifter into any gears.
I pulled over, shut it down, and with the clutch pedal in, (not doing anythingI guess), I can move the shifter around to the different gears, although it is a little rough mechanically.

As far as the history of my clutch, I dont know when it was changed last, I bought the car about 16k miles ago. The clutch seemed to be grabbing recently when my foot has almost let go of the pedal completely.

After moving the shifter around, I started it up with it in first gear, and the pedal in, and the car went off like it was in first gear, cause it was.

My question is...did I just take out out my clutch? What else could it be? Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

I also have 2001 heads, and on Part Shopper it says I need the series 8 clutch, but since the block is the same 96, the regualr one should be okay, right?

• Sponsors (?)

The heads don't make a difference as far as the clutch...if needed just get the one for your 96. Lets determine if it is the clutch first.

If the pedal is really loose you may have a broken clutch cable. Jack the car, put it on stands and look on the drivers side of the tranny. There is a rectagular box mounted with one screw. Remove the screw and see of the cable attached to the fulcrum is loose.

your really going to have to take a look under the cable cover ont he side of the trans, this will let you see the cable clutch fork and throw out bearing, you will also be able to see the presure plate.

but most likely you destroyed your clutch. I once saw a focus svt's clutch disc act as a saw and cut it's way out of the bellhousing. what happend was he did a 2-1 powershift like you did and then the disc broke off the hub

lol..Crazy Focus story. I ordered a King Cobra clutch kit, so we should be well on our way to getting this thing on the road again.

The issue is, it is outside my house, and it is freaking hot here, I am going to die of heat exhaustion fixing this thing in the sun :) hehe
I love my car :)

I'll check on that stuff as soon as I can, most likely only Wednesday morning, or Tuesday night.

Thanks for the help..I would be so lost without you guys!

Okay, so I got that rectangular box off, and the first thing I noticed was that the inside was coated black, with soot-ish stuff. I can see the clutch fork, pressure plate. The cable is all right it seems, I am guessing that it was just the clutch then?

What's my next step?

Okay. :(

This should be fun. I will take pictures of everything so you all can see if and what damage I did, thanks for your help.

I will keep this thread close to the top with updates ;)

Thanks for all the support, I will need it!

I have the mid-pipe out, and next up is the driveshaft, then I can get to the hard part. I only had 2 hours to work on it tonight, and I spent forever trying to get the clutch cable off. For som reason, when I pull rearward on the pedal, it doesnt disconnect from the quadrant, is that weird?
Oh yeah, even being in Utah, with super-dry air, my MAC L/Ts are pretty rusted :( Stupid snow. Anyway, get coated!

dang man, sorry to hear it, but if you're gunna break something make sure ya broke it good :D

& a helpful hint here............go to harbor freight, & get a universal transmission jack. trust me you'll be glad you did ;) if ya got any questions INSTALL AIM & ask :D

I am having some issues getting to the rear four passenger side header bolts, any ideas? I am using some stubby gear wrenches, and extensions and swivels. I can actually get to the second to last rear bolts, but they are torqued down to much to break loose with the stubby...

Also, I have no idea how to get to the top starter bolts, help please?

I am thinking of just dropping the K-Member to get the header loose, but that is the last step I want to take, seeing as this is just a clutch swap..please help me out someone.

If you run extentions between the engine mount and the engine from the front you can get to the bolt...I've forgotten the combonation of swivels and extentions...get a flashlight and look thru there...you can see the bolt.

I decided to drop the K-Member, I will get started on it Monday. I will take lots of pictures for you all, I hope! Thanks for all the help.
Will there be a problem of taking the flywheel and junk off the motor, when the K-member is out?
What kind of support will I need?

stangman said:
dang man, sorry to hear it, but if you're gunna break something make sure ya broke it good :D

& a helpful hint here............go to harbor freight, & get a universal transmission jack. trust me you'll be glad you did ;) if ya got any questions INSTALL AIM & ask :D

How much are they at harbor freight?

Hopefully cheap because I need one! I am tired of borrowing one from a friend, rather just have one handy. I'm gonna be taking my trans out as soon as I get a trans jack because I have to replace my TOB and was thinking I may as well replace the clutch too ....