Tranny/Clutch Problem, PLEASE HELP!

TheSalad said:
Today we got the clutch, flywheel and all the stuff out.
14619015255.jpg

14619033613.jpg

14619051474.jpg

I broke the clutch disc in more than one spot, and also, the pressure plate side was ripped off the clutch, and "melted" to the pressure plate, I did it quite well.

There is one problem...this is the flywheel I bought for it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8064886841&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

We cant get the 8mm bolts from the old flywheel to go very far into the new flywheel. We tried standard 5/16, and 8mm bolts, with varied threads and pitches, nothing will go in, any ideas?

i would contact the seller.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock shifter in my 96 was a joke, I could never find third.

Pro 5.0 short shift went in, and man it's sweet.

I didn't go with the tri-axe as I heard of people snapping them, and the pro 5.0 you can probably stomp on and it won't bend or break.

I had the stock clutch blow out in 4th and put a king cobra in. My only complaint
being that 2nd gear is a bitch to drop into smoothly without some bounce.

I emailed Mustang Warehouse and they said the bolts I have are too long, and I should get bolts that fit...what an awesome answer. I am thinking of on monday going to a nut and bolt place and buying every 8mm bolt there, and seeing what fits, any other ideas?

Today I got the tranny in by myself, and I am in the process of tightening the bolts.
How stiff should the release lever/clutch fork be? I used a prybar to get the cable on, and then tried from inside the car to push the clutch pedal down, it seems pretty stiff, I guess I should get the rest of the trtanny bolts in before I stasrt messing with it..
Any ideas?

Well, I tightened a few more bolts, got the trtanny nice and snug, and tried pushing the clutch pedal down...it popped a little, then went normal..it feels really good and nice pressure. not too hard to push down, maybe a tad tougher than stock.

TheSalad said:
Well, I tightened a few more bolts, got the trtanny nice and snug, and tried pushing the clutch pedal down...it popped a little, then went normal..it feels really good and nice pressure. not too hard to push down, maybe a tad tougher than stock.
My Spec Stage 1 was like that...

Well, today, I had the full day to work on the car.
I started around 9am, and got to work, got the trranny in like I said earlier, and just started putting things back together. Had some mexicans help me get the k member out, redid my exhaust bolts, (fixed some ticks on my drivers side too :)), and then got the k member up myself. Started on the suspension in the front. Got it all back together, but at about 8pm, I ran into a tie rod end issue. The castle nuts didnt want to go back on the end, so
i went to autozone for some new ones. With that done, and have around 930pm, I got the tie rod ends on, finished the other side's suspension, and started to tidy thing up, put tranny fluid in, also my MGW shifter :) Zipped it all up, and let it roll out of the garage and into the street. Then i said a prayer asking for a miracle (I did the same thing when I was done with my headswap)and then started it up. Replacing my starter got rid of the beans in a tin can sound at start, and then the clutch worked just fine. It engages and disengages with my foot almost off the pedal, but that is all right. Went for about a 6-7 mile drive, no problems at all.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciated it. This was quite the task, but it was fun, even though I want to kick my car off the jackstands over and over.

Woohoo!

Good it's back together. I do the same little prayer after each major mod too. Mine engages close to the floor. Releases a little too quick for my liking so I guess I need an ajustable quadrant. Just haven't gotten one yet.

TheSalad said:
Well, today, I had the full day to work on the car.
I started around 9am, and got to work, got the trranny in like I said earlier, and just started putting things back together. Had some mexicans help me get the k member out, redid my exhaust bolts, (fixed some ticks on my drivers side too :)), and then got the k member up myself. Started on the suspension in the front. Got it all back together, but at about 8pm, I ran into a tie rod end issue. The castle nuts didnt want to go back on the end, so
i went to autozone for some new ones. With that done, and have around 930pm, I got the tie rod ends on, finished the other side's suspension, and started to tidy thing up, put tranny fluid in, also my MGW shifter :) Zipped it all up, and let it roll out of the garage and into the street. Then i said a prayer asking for a miracle (I did the same thing when I was done with my headswap)and then started it up. Replacing my starter got rid of the beans in a tin can sound at start, and then the clutch worked just fine. It engages and disengages with my foot almost off the pedal, but that is all right. Went for about a 6-7 mile drive, no problems at all.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciated it. This was quite the task, but it was fun, even though I want to kick my car off the jackstands over and over.

Woohoo!
Go get it aligned now.