Tranny cooler.

FastmanGT

Founding Member
May 22, 2002
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I know that I need to order one. I have come down to the choice of either Perma-Cool or Flex-A-Lite. I like the cost of the Perma-Cool units. The question is what is a good size to go with, like how big is too big (I know you cant have too much cooling). Is the fan really necessary, I would like to have one since that would help when in traffic. Thanks for any input you guys can provide!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, no one knows? OK, how about this, does anyone have a cooler with a fan on it? Are they hard to wire up? I do a majority of city driving but traffic isnt a big problem. So I dont know if a fan-cooler combo is necessary. I talked with Performance Automatic and PI about the cooler idea and they said go as big as I can. Both of them really didnt have much to say on the fan-cooler idea though. There, also, seems to be a difference in opinion on bypassing the radiator or not, what have some of you guys done? So far the ones I am considering are the Summit Brand 1.5 X 10.5 X 21, the Flex-A-Lite 3/4 X 10 X 20, and the Perma-Cool 1.5 X 10.5 X 21. Any ideas guys???

Sorry, I didnt see this..I like to try to help out the AODE guys.

Go to B&M and look at the specs. The 19,000 GVW is the one I have. That is plenty. I know Brothers Racing has them for like $60 or something. I got this brand b/c it was recommended to my by several people. I dont know the pros and cons of the ones youre looking at.
RC

FastmanGT you have to let me know how your tanny rebuild goes. I am about to start mine in about a month. I am still trying to firgure out what I want to do. I really want to find a good price on the PI converter but I haven't been successful yet. You you have the PI in your car yet. If so was it worth it? I am also going to get the full manual valvebody with transbrake. The stock tanny parts have to go.

Thanks RC, I will look into the B&M products as well. So far I just have all the parts sitting beside me, the rebuild kit, valvebody arrived on Thursday, and converter arrived yesterday. The biggest enemy of the auto tranny is heat, if the fluids temp gets too hot, it can start to burn up and that can burn up other things as well. So basically a new tranny cooler allows your tranny to live longer and perform better.

FastmanGT said:
Thanks RC, I will look into the B&M products as well. So far I just have all the parts sitting beside me, the rebuild kit, valvebody arrived on Thursday, and converter arrived yesterday. The biggest enemy of the auto tranny is heat, if the fluids temp gets too hot, it can start to burn up and that can burn up other things as well. So basically a new tranny cooler allows your tranny to live longer and perform better.

WHen I researched this stuff, I was steered AWAY from B&M Shiftkit, but never heard anything bad about the cooler...To me, basically, a cooler is a cooler. For $60, it doesnt really matter to me which one....Not like skimping on an SFI balancer or something.

RC