Tranny cross member?

• Sponsors (?)

Ebay. i picked one up for $10

WHat exactly is there to go bad on them? Just a peice of stamped metal and two rubber bushings.

Some catalogs sell repro new xmembers for about $50

Rust is the main thing that can go wrong with them. Mine is almost completely rusted through and about to fall off. You guys don't have rust in Massachusetts?

What are these catalogs you speak of? I've seen plenty of repro cross members for 5.0's, but I've never seen any for the 2.3. I didn't think a 5.0 xmember would bolt up to a 2.3 ...will it?

We got rust in Texas on stuff from the 30's and on cars from the Gulf coast. I feel sorry for you snow guys withall that stuff they throw on the roads up there.

A 5.0 crossmember will bolt right up to a 2.3, it's the exact same chassis. Just make sure it's straight - somehow, the one I pulled at the JY is bent all to hell, luckily my buddy had an old single-hump V8 one I can use.

Ash

bareje said:
Rust is the main thing that can go wrong with them. Mine is almost completely rusted through and about to fall off. You guys don't have rust in Massachusetts?

What are these catalogs you speak of? I've seen plenty of repro cross members for 5.0's, but I've never seen any for the 2.3. I didn't think a 5.0 xmember would bolt up to a 2.3 ...will it?

Rust in Mass? Yeah we have it but my car has no rust on it. My crossmember is perfect still.

Look through any 5.0 mustang or MM&FF magazine at the vendors. Many sell the xmember in some ads. I beleive the A4LD use a single hump but all 86-93 T-5 mustngs use the same 5-spd double hump crossmember.

Lx89Stang05 said:
go to a junk yard, you can get one out of any 87-93 5spd mustang and the 80's thunderbird.

So does the 87-88 TC bolt right up to a 93' mustang 2.3L? I'm about to do this swap and was hoping to use as much off the 87-88 TC as I can.

Thanks

PS. Listen to them on buying items from the dealership, that is the last place you go. :D

The crossmember from my '88 TC tranny donor car seemed too short to fit the Stang. I put it next to a Stang crossmember and it was a couple inches short. So don't count on it working.

Ash

Mustang5L5 said:
Ebay. i picked one up for $10

WHat exactly is there to go bad on them? Just a peice of stamped metal and two rubber bushings.

Some catalogs sell repro new xmembers for about $50

I saw a double hump for a T-5 on Ebay for 20.00 buy it now. I couldn't buy it then I had some where to go, got back and it was gone.
:bang: