tranny help :(

Kevs89notch5.0

"I have no life."
Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Rock Island, IL
After running around town for about an hour, and then somewhat trying to keep up with an 03 Cobra, my 2.3 started smoking badly. I was just a couple block from meeting up with friends, so I held out. I got there, parked, and realized it was puking tranny fluid onto the cats. :(

I simply topped her off after supper, and went on my way with no driving problems. What about tomorrow? Am I screwed? Did after 174K, she finally bite the bullet? Any ideas/options?

• Sponsors (?)

You sure its tranny fluid?

If its an auto: you need to check/replace the front pump...

If its a manual: check the front bearing retainer. If cracked replace with a steel unit, the aluminum's are prone to cracking.

If its motor oil, replace yer rear main seal.

Ya you have to be sure its tranny fluid. I had that problem and it was the tranny line from the Radiator that broke on mine, plus my servo seal broke (on the tranny). So I had a mess of tranny fluid on my cat until I fixed it.

ka0tyk said:
You sure its tranny fluid?

If its an auto: you need to check/replace the front pump...

If its a manual: check the front bearing retainer. If cracked replace with a steel unit, the aluminum's are prone to cracking.

If its motor oil, replace yer rear main seal.

I'll put my money on it. It is an auto, but nothing other than fluid is being check/topped off. I bought this POS 2 years ago for $595, and have gotten 20K miles out of it. Hell, I haven't even changed the oil it probably half a year if not longer. All this car gets is gas. I'm moving to Fl in less than 3 weeks. This will be sold before hand.

Crovax said:
Do the autos have the little plastic breather tube like the manuals?

I was kinda wondering about that. I was thinking they might have some sort of one eay valve incase the fluid overheats, like in my situation.

ka0tyk said:
the a4ld has an overflow breather thing but its located towards the rear of the transmission...

Well thats good to know. Maybe I somehow blew this out?

Anyway, I thought the process of ignoring the problem might work, but no! I drove to school(leaving early) and she drove fine. She drove home fine as well. Then I ran to the bank and then about another 8 miles across town, still fine. Then I hit the interstate again.

The car for a month or two has had a slight problem on the interstate. Once and a while when I hit about 65, and let up(letting her go into OD). she would start to loose speed. I coudl floor it, but nothing. I learned to simply let up until she slows down to 55ish, and then mash the gas so it downshifts.

Well today, she started to loose speed again. I let up, and started to slow down, getting ready to mash the gas at 55. I tried it, but it didn't work this time. Next thing I know, I see tons of smoke coming through the shifter. :owned:

I coasted her another mile to where my notch is stored, and swapped cars. The 2.3 is sitting till saturday when I have time to jack her up, and inspect the damage.

with a bad front pump the tranny isnt getting the proper pressure and obviously isnt shifting like it should. driving it will only eat the alreayd weak A4LD up and it'll cost you an arm and a leg now to rebuild it.

i know because ive rebuilt mine 4 times, the last one had a shift kit and explorer a4ld hard internal parts in it...

#1 broke 1st gear
#2 broke bellhousing in half (starter cracked bellhousing, downshift then broke it all the way around)
#3 broke tranny casing in half and fluid went EVERYWHERE!(#%*!#(%!
#4 lost overdrive

if i were you I wouldnt rebuild that worthless transmission and instead focus on gathering T5 swap parts... I t5 swapped my car and by FARRR it was the best thing I've ever done. there are quite a few parts and it does take a while, but nothing too difficult except for the pedal assembly, only because you need to lie on your back looking upwards as dirt falls in your face and its really uncomfortable...

my last garage ornament:

a4ld.jpg