tranny not shifting need help

my nephew has an 88 vert 2.3 auto with o/d.

it went to the upholstery shop for a new top and everything was fine there and back. then he drove to school the next day and on the way home the tranny would not shift out of 2nd gear. is there any vacume lines to check or should I be looking for something bigger? also if necessary which cars would be a good donor for another tranny.

thanks

mike

• Sponsors (?)

I think the A4ld has a vacuum modulator, so check it.

Make sure the manual linkage is connected and adjusted, and make sure the kickdown linkage is connected and adjusted, and operating freely.

Next suggestion is to remove and clean the governor.

A4lds are in lots of cars, 4 banger tbird, cougars, mustangs, Rangers, Aerostars, etc.

However, be carefull about what you get, as the are several versions, such as two and 3 solenoid valve bodies, that don't necessarily interchange easily.

okay, went over to my nephews house and started up the car while he was at school, first I noticed an unusually high idle speed and then when I lifted the hood I could hear a hissing noise. starting tracing the vacume system and found the vacume hose had poped off the tranny. everything is working fine again.

thanks for the advice

mike