BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
For those of you who haven't been following my threads, here is my situation:

- blown engine, had a 500hp 410ci stroker built
- stock t5 won't be able to take the power from the new motor
- decided to go to a 4R70W automatic
- installer installed both the motor and tranny at the same time, following tranny conversion notes from jerry on tccoa.com
- tranny has not shifted correctly since installation
- can't take it back to the installer, he lives 2 hours away
- have taken it to 5 shops now, the last being a ford dealership with a performance parts service department
- noone has been willing to do what it takes to figure it out and fix it

what would you do? i would prefer to stay with an automatic, but i am not 100% set on it

dump about $3000 into a new manual tranny/clutch that can take the power the morot can put out?
dump about the same amount into a strong aode made for a 1995?
get a baumannator (about $800) and try to make the 4R70W work with that?
get a manual valve body (no idea on the cost) for the 4R70W?

i'm leaning towards going with the baumannator

• Sponsors (?)

I'd get a stick trans that would hold the power :nice:

then again ...

That will always be my trans choice for a Street Car :Word:

Now I know what all you been through with that trans :bang:

I find it hard to believe nobody knows how to make it right :eek: :scratch:

I mean ... you see peeps on a regular basis who've done just that :shrug:

I feel for ya man :)

Grady

has anyone told you that its not the transmission?

I have a 4r70w swapped and using tweecer and have no problems (with transmission). I am using what Stanger007 has.
the transmission shop i took it to said they hooked it up to their test controller and it did exactly what it was told to do. they said it was not being sent the right commands.

everyone else i have talked to is too afraid to touch it because they say there is too much custom stuff and they don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong.

that is why i want to go to something that someone local can handle so i can get this problem behind me and get on with the next thing.

Chris

We got two members who have successfully done as you desire :D

Since the trans is getting invalid commands ............

Why not look at each of their cal files and find the differences :shrug:

Grady

Chris

We got two members who have successfully done as you desire :D

Since the trans is getting invalid commands ............

Why not look at each of their cal files and find the differences :shrug:

Grady

i have tried 3 different cal files, each of the from people who have 1995 computers and a 4R70W ... they all behave the same. i am very confident that it is not the tune.

the frustrating thing is that i'm sure i could figure out what is going on and fix it if i had a garage to work in and if my wife wasn't so damn adamant about not spending time working on my car until the kids are off to college.

a wife's constant complaining can really wear a guy down.

so i need to waste money to pay someone else to fix it and find something they can and are willing to do.

that is either the baumannator or a full manual valve body.

Mine is a "promotion" G-force. They build it differently then gforce does themselves. The evidence is in the track results. A guy who is very well versed with these cars and transmissions has run several g force and pro motion gforce. I think the figure was 640rwhp spinning to 8000 rpm. the regular g-force blew apart twice. The pro motion g force held up every time.

What computer are you running?? a U4P0 or a W4H0 (i think thats correct)

Those are both auto computers.

Or are you running a T4MO 5 spd computer with a Auto Cal file??

If your doing the 2nd option with a auto cal file then I bet thats your problem... because the T4M0 is missing circuitry to run an auto correctly... yes you can see the functions and turn them on with a Tweecer or EEC tuner but it will not correctly run a auto tranny.. Reason for me saying this is because of my wifes 408W with a 4r70w.. Ran a T4M0 computer with a Tweecer for the 4r70W. Ran fine didn't shift worth dog poo no matter what I did.. bought a W4H0 Auto computer loaded the exact same tune on it and it was night and day difference..

Danny

With the options you gave do the Manual valve body.. There wonderful :)

If your doing the 2nd option with a auto cal file then I bet thats your problem... because the T4M0 is missing circuitry to run an auto correctly... yes you can see the functions and turn them on with a Tweecer or EEC tuner but it will not correctly run a auto tranny.. Reason for me saying this is because of my wifes 408W with a 4r70w.. Ran a T4M0 computer with a Tweecer for the 4r70W. Ran fine didn't shift worth dog poo no matter what I did.. bought a W4H0 Auto computer loaded the exact same tune on it and it was night and day difference..

Danny

I was told a manual computer (T4M0) would not work with an auto tranny, so I got a U4P0 from a fellow stangnetter. I'm sure the guy who did the work just made a mistake when he was doing the work. If he was local, I'm sure he'd take it back and figure it out. But he is 2 hours away and it is not feasible to do that.

I talked to the guy from Broader Performance about manual valve bodies. Really nice guy, and he provided mansonozz with his setup. I do like the manual valve body idea alot ... then I am still the one doing the shifting, just without using my left foot.

But I would need a different shifter, because this B&M one I have would be a real pain to use. I have to pull (or push) it and then bring it back to move it one position. With that, I'd have to pull it 5 times just to get it into 1st gear from park. That would definately not be acceptable.

What would be really cool would be if it could be setup to shift from the steering wheel (with switches next to the cruise control), and not even have a shifter between the seats. Danny, what do you think about pulling that off?

I know, I need to just get it working before going off on a customizing tangent again.

The steering wheel thing can be done. Very doable.. You have the Ratchet Shifter my wife has in her car. And she loves it.. Now her's isn't a manual valve body but a few cars I've done with auto with maunals run that shifter an I love it. But if i could I would delete the center console and put in a hurst quarter stick :drool:

The steering wheel thing can be done. Very doable.. You have the Ratchet Shifter my wife has in her car. And she loves it.. Now her's isn't a manual valve body but a few cars I've done with auto with maunals run that shifter an I love it. But if i could I would delete the center console and put in a hurst quarter stick :drool:

i dunno man, i can see myself quickly getting sick of having to yank the thing 5 times just to get out of park.

what is a hurst quarter stick?

*EDIT* i found out about that. looks like what i would like. could that be used with a 4R70W with a manual valve body?

Danny

Danny

I find this info so very interesting :Word:

From the very get go ... several years ago ... I've suspected the info you
see is not complete in all the various versions of software we have seen
come and go :scratch:

Now ... Especially over the past year ... You see things like this surface
more and more ;)

That programming stuff :crazy:
hexidecimal
bits turned on or off
high bits or low bits
etc

Only bit I know is ... I don't understand a bit of any of it :)

Thanks for the info :D

Grady