Tranny problems continue

well, news. the tranny guy says to bring the car in on monday and he'll see if he can make my current stuff work. if not, he says he can install either the baumannator or a manual vb, but he wats to see if he can make it work using the current computer first.

so the saga continues ...

• Sponsors (?)

now the tranny guy says the tranny itself does not shift correctly.

this is the same guy who said 2 months ago (the first time i brought it to him) that it was shifting correctly when he connected his own controller to it for diagnosis.

i am starting to lose confidence in this guy ... :bang:

time to start looking for someone else to look at i guess.

It's a dam shame you cant get that trans going Chris. If it were me I would be fed up and gone a different route. But again, there's no right or wrong answer, its what suits you manual valve body, 95 trans or stick.

Reminds me of my fuel rail I just got the the point where I said ENOUGH already. I am trashing the rail and moving on. You may not be to that point yet.

Sorry to high jack the thread, but for the guys running the promotion G-force t-5. How much noise do the gears make, because I remember seeing a g-force t-5 online and the gears look almost str8 cut so that has to be noisey as hell. And for go-stang5.0 I remember you saying you only did 1st,2nd,3rd and the input shaft. How did the work out for you as far as NVH and driveability?

well, i found another tranny guy to look at it. i think he is finally the right guy for the job. he has a rx7 that he as converted into a road racing car ... with a LS1 motor in it!

he actually took the cover off and checked the wiring of the solenoids ... all messed up. when he straightened that out, it started shifting into 3 gears, but still not all of them. so there is something wrong internally in the transmission. he says it may or may not be from the incorrectly wired solenoids. they are starting the teardown and will let me know what they find.

he also says there is alot of debris in the fluid that looks like it came from the torque convertor clutches.

believe it or not, i am actually happy right now, because there is finally some progress being made ...

There is gear whine but if you have an aftermarket exhaust it wont bother you much. Plus you only really get the whine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...basically only when the aftermarket gears have load on them. 4th is direct drive and the 5th gear stays stock so on the highway (assuming you use 4 and 5 on the highway most of the time) its quiet as can be. Personally I would avoid getting a superstrong 5th gear (as it is an option)...it's not nescessary and you will have to deal with whine crusing down the highway.

08/31 update:

The guy called me this morning and asked me to come over and see what they found. So I went over there and he showed me the clutches and OD band, and sure enough, they are burned up.

He said most likely it was related to the incorrectly done wiring because the solenoids were not getting the proper voltages and so the clutches and OD band were slipping like crazy, which burned them up.

So he is rebuilding it with a high performance clutch upgrade (with more clutches) and a shift kit to help the clutches engage fully and hold the power the motor puts out without slipping. I am also getting a stock shifter and he is going to put that in.

He is also going to install my brake upgrade and the mid-length headers, so when I get it back from him, it should be road worthy.

btw, he said he thought the torque convertor was probably still ok. he's going to put that back in and i guess we'll see what happens.

he is doing the brake upgrade as i type

Have him let the converter drain overnight upside down. He can use some cheap fluid to help flush it out a bit better. :nice:

Sounds like progress is being made. These Auto's can be a pain. But when they work correctly and you have enough HP behind them, the cars will fly. :D

Have him let the converter drain overnight upside down. He can use some cheap fluid to help flush it out a bit better. :nice:

Sounds like progress is being made. These Auto's can be a pain. But when they work correctly and you have enough HP behind them, the cars will fly. :D
i'm not sure, but i think i might have enough horsepower behind it. hopefully we'll see soon ...

update -

they put it back together, got the stock shifter in, got the brakes in

it still doesn't shift as the computer tells it to. it goes from 1st thru 3rd though with the manual override. it must be the wiring. there is no other possibility.

the charges are piling up again. i'm probably going to have to give this guy $3500 for the work he has done already (tranny rebuild, brakes, sway bar, steering column), and the thing is still not on the road. and the guy is really tired of having it in his shop.

it could cost probably me another $500 to have him to trace the wires back and see if everything is wired correctly. so i decided to get a manual valve body instead and circumvent the wiring altogether. i will have to bring the car home for 2 weeks while i am waiting for the VB to get here, and then bring it back in and put down another $200 for the install.

i have lost interest in all this ****, and i don't really have any interest in having the car back. at this point, i won't feel bad about selling the car and putting all this behind me.

maybe i would not have regretted all this if the guy who did the install knew what the f*** he was doing, or if i could have done most of the work myself, but this has now been going on for a year and cost a whole lot more than expected.

putting in this 410 and converting to automatic was the worst decision i have ever made.

Sorry to high jack the thread, but for the guys running the promotion G-force t-5. How much noise do the gears make, because I remember seeing a g-force t-5 online and the gears look almost str8 cut so that has to be noisey as hell. And for go-stang5.0 I remember you saying you only did 1st,2nd,3rd and the input shaft. How did the work out for you as far as NVH and driveability?

i love my g force, only gear that is a little noisy is 5th....Mine is the syncroed version!

update: since i couldn't find anyone to look into this problem, i decided to do it myself when time permitted. here is what i have found.

there is a short somewhere between the wires for shift solenoid 1 and shift solenoid 2

but there is also some resistance in there as well because there is 13.x volts over the SS1 circuit, but only 6.5 or so over SS2

i suspect it is down in the valve body area

more later

Chris, have you been over on TCCoA? I recall some of the trans guys discussing bad wiring when pulling valve bodies for inspections. There might be some tips or things to look for in some of the posts...........